Ways to test mica colours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
Helloooo
Anyone got another way to test mica colours without making a batch of soap? I have a very specific colour (it’s a creamy yellowy greeny yellow) and i’ve made a couple of little batches now but i’m wondering if anyone has any ways they test colours without using up so many supplies? I have a notebook where I keep the ratios and measurements of micas for colours i’ve made and liked before, however this colour isn’t like any of them and so i’m guessing a little bit!

I have not run across any other method that would reliably indicate how a color behaves in bar soap other than to make soap using a specific colorant. In addition to that, the formula of the soap itself, the specific oils themselves as well as any additives, including fragrance, can also alter the color result. Some fragrances discolor. Dark colored oils can change the shade of the colorant in the finished soap as well.

If anyone has found a way, I'd sure be interested!

Greens and yellow micas can be a bit unpredictable so I agree that testing in your recipe is the best option. Why not reserve a little bit of batter from another batch to use for testing the color? You could even put a small amount of the test color into an end or corner of the larger batch for a realistic test of color in a soap made using your methods.

Helloooo
Anyone got another way to test mica colours without making a batch of soap?
Nope. I have some 4-cavity Round Mold that I use to test colorants…each cavity holds 3 oz. If I’m in a hurry, I’ll make a single soap or I just hold off until I’ve collected 4 to 8 Samples to test. The soap doesn’t go to waste, it gets used at the Kitchen or bathroom sink.

Latest posts

Back