Waxberry Soap that smells like caramel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I've posted a question thread in the lye soap forum about its smell but here's the finished soap.
Waxberry is a berry native to China, mostly grew in the humid south like my city. They are known for their tart and sour-ness combined with refreshing sweetness. Fresh waxberries go bad quickly so it's usually only in the market for about three weeks every year. I got this batch of berries from a family member two weeks ago, ate most of yet, turned the rest into soap a week ago. By the time I post this it's probably off the market already.
The recipe was a basic shower bar. No scent nor colorant.
I used frozen waxberry juice as full water. When frozen it was beautiful red-purple color just like the berry. When I first started adding lye, however, it turned a deep matcha green! As I kept adding more lye it turned yellow and eventually a red-ish orange color, making the batter seabuckthorn-orange-colored. It paled to a beige when frozen and turned the caramel shade when thawed and left to dry for a day. What an interesting process!
It smells awfully like caramel from the double syrup I added in hope of a good lather and the sugar in juice itself. With the color, I think they look like caramel pucks lol. I still have enough waxberry to make another batch so I might add some maroon mica to get a berry color instead.

wax berry.jpg

Back