wax melts getting things right

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok guys i need help with a couple of problems ive been trying to get these right for a while now i have now got my scent mastered depending on the scent. but my problems now are as follows
1. I'm using mica in my wax melts and when they melt the mica seems to sink to the bottom.
2. when my melt have set up they seem to have white parts either at the top or through out the middle.
not sure whats going wrong here
PLEASE HELP...many thanks

Micas dont always work well with wax tarts. You could try to let the wax get a bit cooler and thicker before you mix it in just make sure its fully dissolved in a little wax or FO because there wont be a whole lot of time to blend. You could also mix it the way you are but let it get thicker before you pour so it will support the mica.

One issue I always had was the mica weighing down the wax and I would get sunken areas in the tart

Last edited:
Micas dont always work well with wax tarts. You could try to let the wax get a bit cooler and thicker before you mix it in just make sure its fully dissolved in a little wax or FO because there wont be a whole lot of time to blend. You could also mix it the way you are but let it get thicker before you pour so it will support the mica.

One issue I always had was the mica weighing down the wax and I would get sunken areas in the tart
ok thank you thats a great help i might try candle dye instead

ok guys i need help with a couple of problems ive been trying to get these right for a while now i have now got my scent mastered depending on the scent. but my problems now are as follows
1. I'm using mica in my wax melts and when they melt the mica seems to sink to the bottom.
2. when my melt have set up they seem to have white parts either at the top or through out the middle.
not sure whats going wrong here
PLEASE HELP...many thanks

I almost always use mica, but it DOES disburse and sink. Larger particle sizes will sink faster, so a lot of pigments look more speckled than smooth or sink unevenly. Pouring at a cooler temperature can help, as it gives it less time to settle at the bottom. It is also REALLY easy to use too much mica and be left with a really messy pool when you go to melt. I mix the mica in before I melt and stir evenly then melt (so it doesn't just float to the bottom as I cook the wax), but I make really small batches and tend to use a bunch of different colors/methods.

Liquid dyes and dye blocks are far more user friendly, especially if you are trying for really rich colors.

Back