Wax Containers and Something Interesting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWolf

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Was wondering what you use to keep extra wax in. Have seen these Ziplock and Glad containers at the store and wondered if they were worth using or should I try using something like the Rubbermaid products you get at Wally world and K-Mart ! What works best ?

I got the Peak Candle Newsletter today. I found this to be kind of interesting. I was wondering if anyone has tried something like this before and if so.................How did they like it. I have seen the commercial brands and are they ever expensive !!
I hope this link works. If not you can find it on their homepage !

http://www.candletech.com/general-infor ... ax-melter/

I have two modified presto pots with added spouts.

I keep my container slab wax in the box it comes in. My brittle slabs I break up and toss into a bucket with a lid. I have some other kinda granular waxes that are in a variety of tubs and containers - I'm too cheap to buy dedicated stuff.

I built mine over 4 years ago when I was a chandler. I don't pour candles any longer, but it has melted a lot of hard oils for soaps over the past few years! I use it every week!

Michele001.jpg

Michele004.jpg

Works as well today as the day I built it! LOVE my Presto Pot!

Paul :wink:

Paul!!!!!!! ;)

Your here,I can't believe it! :)

please tell us how to do that for ourselves..Please with a cherry on top?

I've been saving my old presto for some reason,didn't remember until I saw yours... THAT'S IT!!!!! :) Those are so perfect for wax.

Please I'll attempt a batch of soap with LYE!!!

Munky.

Well now, Munk, I'm not Paul but... the link to the instructions are in the first post of this thread.

Sure thing Munk. :) Let me try to remember what parts and how I did it. It has been almost 5 years ago I made it. It works swell for pouring candles. I would put my pot on a little stand, then put about 6 jars on a lazy susan under the spout, and pour 1 at a time. :D

More soon..... :wink:

Paul

carebear said:
Well now, Munk, I'm not Paul but... the link to the instructions are in the first post of this thread.

Clicking on a link isn't my first rodeo ya know ;)

If that link had worked for me,I wouldn't have asked Paul for his instructions,now would I?

My firewall doesn't like some sights.Flicker is another one.So in the future I'd appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt.I'm surprised you didn't give me the generic lazy answer "Do a search newbie!"

Munky.

Did you try it through the Peak Candle Site ? If that didn't work your firewall is very tempermental ! :}

I Have To Wonder How to Clean something like that ! You can't put it the oven. To melt the excess ........turn it on and wipe it out when it melts ? What is proper way to do it and make sure it is done right.

Wax Munky said:
carebear said:

Clicking on a link isn't my first rodeo ya know ;)

If that link had worked for me,I wouldn't have asked Paul for his instructions,now would I?

Munky.
my deepest apologies. I actually had clicked the link twice an it worked just fine for me so I though perhaps you didn't notice the link at the bottom of the post. I should have realized you simply would not have made a mistake and I certainly won't make that one again. ;)

OK, Munky, I have a bit more tome now! :) You need a 1/2" drill bit to drill a hole at the radius of the bottom. You need a 1/2" ball cock valve, and 2 -- 1/2" 90* angle piece. Use Teflon tape to tape all joints that screw together. Assemble the 3 pieces I outlined above, taping all the joints with the Teflon tape. Drill the 1/2" hole in the base. After that, slowly and straightly, screw the assembled assembly into the hole in the Presto Pot. It takes longer to explain the process than to do it. :lol:

You might want to copy the pictures I posted to refer to, looking at them, or even take it to the hardware store and they can help you. It costs about $8.00 to build the valve control pictured. It really helps and makes pouring soooo easy. As far as clean up goes, yup clean it out when it is still warm with a few paper towels. I then take a little spray bottle of alcohol, spray the inside and outside, wiping down with clean paper towels. When I make lotions in it now, I take it to the kitchen sink and wash thoroughly, sometimes using the dishwasher. After 5 years and repeated washings, everything works just fine.

Hope this helps! :wink: If you have any other questions, hey, PM me...OK! :D :wink:

ETA; Here is a close-up of the hardware;

Michele005-1.jpg

Here is a link to E-Bay with some new and used listings of the Presto Pot allready made up. Several good deals!

http://shop.ebay.com/items/presto%20pot ... =1&_sop=12

Thank you very much Paul :)

It seems so simple to do.That size melter would be perfect for me.I'd just like to make small batches 6 to 8 containers.That way I can avoid bringing out all the double boilers and pour pots.. Well you know what I mean.

I'll copy everything over to my laptop,and take it with me to the hardware store. I have to go anyways..I ran over a sprinkler head with the lawnmower. :oops:

Thank you for taking the time to explain it all out in detail,in more ways then one.I know you've been extremely busy in your shop.I appreciate it.

*Deals a deal* I better get some Lye while I'm at it...Ohhhh *shudders*

Munky.

Soapmaker Man said:
OK, Munky, I have a bit more tome now! :) You need a 1/2" drill bit to drill a hole at the radius of the bottom. You need a 1/2" ball cock valve, and 2 -- 1/2" 90* angle piece. Use Teflon tape to tape all joints that screw together. Assemble the 3 pieces I outlined above, taping all the joints with the Teflon tape. Drill the 1/2" hole in the base. After that, slowly and straightly, screw the assembled assembly into the hole in the Presto Pot. It takes longer to explain the process than to do it. :lol:

You might want to copy the pictures I posted to refer to, looking at them, or even take it to the hardware store and they can help you. It costs about $8.00 to build the valve control pictured. It really helps and makes pouring soooo easy. As far as clean up goes, yup clean it out when it is still warm with a few paper towels. I then take a little spray bottle of alcohol, spray the inside and outside, wiping down with clean paper towels. When I make lotions in it now, I take it to the kitchen sink and wash thoroughly, sometimes using the dishwasher. After 5 years and repeated washings, everything works just fine.

Hope this helps! :wink: If you have any other questions, hey, PM me...OK! :D :wink:

ETA; Here is a close-up of the hardware;

Michele005-1.jpg

Here is a link to E-Bay with some new and used listings of the Presto Pot allready made up. Several good deals!

http://shop.ebay.com/items/presto%20pot ... =1&_sop=12

what kind of lotions do you make in it?? and how do you go about using that type of pot to make them?

I'd say Thanks for the E-Bay link. If I don't have to make it myself...Cool !!

What about Containers? What are you all using ?

digit said:
IanT said:
what kind of lotions do you make in it??
Super, duper yummy ones!!!! I know!!!!

Digit

You are to partial Digit....thanks! :wink: :)

I only heat my aloe vera/water in the Presto Pot, then I melt my e-wax and butters in there. I mix my lotions in my stand KitchenAid mixer.

shealoe001.jpg

shealoe003.jpg

I just use a Rubbermaid container for my extra wax, a large tote. I just label the outside with a marker and keep the lid on when I am not using it to keep it clean.
I bought 4 Presto Pots from Ebay about 1 1/2 ago and I just love them. They are not too big, easy to move around and don't suck up much electricity as a comercial melter. I highly recommend them.
Hope it helps...

Thank you for the info on containers ! These Presto pots..........How muck wax can you actually melt. Is it 7, like they say. Also they say about twenty minutes to melt ?

I believe it holds maximum of 8 pds. It does melt it quite fast although I have never timed it. You can turn it up to 200 when you first start melting it and then turn it down to "warm"--Keep a thermometer in it at all times. I never have mine turned up past warm after it's melted...the "warm" setting keeps the wax between 170o & 180o

170-180 Degrees sounds pretty good for Pariffin Wax. Thought maybe warm would be low enough for Bees Wax but I guess not. 170 is to high for B.Wax. Oh well. Thanks For Information !

I melt Beewax in my Presto Pot too...I just keep it at the "W" on the warm keeping it very low...I also melt my melt and pour soap in it...

Back