water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapzbydezine

Reaction score
I decided to do an experiment. I have made hundreds of batches of soap and never used anything but distilled water, as we all do. I was curious to see what would happen if I used filtered water, as I have a 4 stage filtration system in my home. This is the result. Thought I would share my results. Fyi, this is 1/2 filtered 1/2 distilled water. Exact same recipe and process. On the right is full distilled water.

Attachments

• filteredh2o.jpg
    filteredh2o.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 78
I decided to do an experiment. I have made hundreds of batches of soap and never used anything but distilled water, as we all do. I was curious to see what would happen if I used filtered water, as I have a 4 stage filtration system in my home. This is the result. Thought I would share my results. Fyi, this is 1/2 filtered 1/2 distilled water. Exact same recipe and process. On the right is full distilled water.

That would be because filtered water removes the nasties, but not the metals or minerals that are naturally occurring in the water.

Yes, the metals and minerals that aren't harmful are left and thanks for sharing. I posted the picture and did the experiment to give a visual reason why we use distilled water and cannot substitute.

Yes, the metals and minerals that aren't harmful are left and thanks for sharing. I posted the picture and did the experiment to give a visual reason why we use distilled water and cannot substitute.

You can substitute. Folks have successfully been making soap for hundreds and hundreds of years without DW. While the process of distillation has been around for thousands of years, the use of DW in soap making has only been something that is recent. And in researching commercial soap making and the benefits of using DW, I think I can say with almost certainty that they aren't using DW. If you have any doubts...think back to cleaning the bath tub before you started using artisan soap...I have definitely noticed the difference.

While DW is preferable because it doesn't contain any kind of contaminants...it's pretty much just 'pure' H20. But if you don't have access to DW (not everyone does), you can use other sources of water if that is all you have. And you don't have to use water, you can use milks, aloe vera juice and other liquids because the only reason why we use water in the first place really is to dissolve Sodium Hydroxide/Potassium. But if you do use other sources, you need to account for the contaminants. This can include running your Lye Solution through a coffee filter, fine cheese cloth or mesh screen to filter out bound contaminants and lowering your SuperFat.

ETA - I am not a science professional, but I can do the research.

I am sorry, but I just don't understand what your photo is demonstrating. I am not sure what I am seeing in your photo that shows a difference other than the color difference of the soap. Please tell me what the picture is demonstrating.

Just as a point of reference, I usually do use distilled water, but in a pinch have used other waters. When traveling there have been times I was unable to purchase DW, so used other water (bottled drinking water, for example). And I have even used naturally occurring water gathered from local (to where I was at the time) sources.

And of course I have used water replacements, such as Kombucha Tea, Coffee, Aloe Vera 'Juice', Vinegar, Rejuvalac, milks, rice water, and so on and so forth, most of which contained some form of non-distilled water in their preparation.

In all cases the resulting soap was still soap and in most (maybe all) cases, there was no ill effect or resulting DOS. Over the course of the years, I cannot say positively none of them had DOS, because of course it has happened in some of my soaps eventually, but I cannot be sure what caused it every single case.

I use tap water. Of course, our drinking water is provided by the snow melt from the Rockies. The best I've ever tasted straight from the tap. This may not apply to all States. In addition to the options @earlene mentioned, some members use salt water from the ocean with no negative results.

Although distilled vs. filtered makes no difference, filtered water is a good idea and preferable because it's readily available to you. ;) :thumbs:

I use dirty, filthy NYC tap water. That's a joke. We have great-tasting tap water (which of course comes from outside the city).

I refuse to buy water bottles, which makes me an environmentalist by default. I'd drink tap water in any case but that's another reason.

That said, I'm going to get into master-batching and might try distilled water.

I use tap water. Of course, our drinking water is provided by the snow melt from the Rockies. The best I've ever tasted straight from the tap. This may not apply to all States.

I'm also in Colorado. Since I'm on well water, I've definitely been wondering about using that for my soaps - my main hesitation is that I know our water is high in calcium.

I've considered getting an at-home water distiller (almost bought one a few years ago for my dad's CPAP machine). However, distilled water is so readily available and cheap, it's hard to justify the expense.

... never used anything but distilled water, as we all do ...
I never used distilled or any other bottled water in soap making nor do I ever buy any. We have great-tasting tap water which I love to drink. I'd write "If it's good for me it must be good enough for my soap as well." Although I acknowledge this may not be scientifically based it works fine for me.

A quick search turned up several threads about using tap water to make soap. Here are 3 of them:

LS dilution: distilled vs. tap water

Can I use tap water?

Distilled water vs tap water vs mineral water ?

Thanks Zany. Read the threads & learned a new word: "necroposting." That's when you respond to an old thread & many of the contributors are no longer with us - I mean in the forum.

WRT water, I'm coming around to the idea of using distilled water for soaping although I'm an NYC drinking water patriot. I'm willing to fight people on this until the last breath. There is no reason to buy bottled water.

But soaping? If I can control a variable I will, and it's such a minor expense, why not?

Thanks Zany. Read the threads & learned a new word: "necroposting." That's when you respond to an old thread & many of the contributors are no longer with us - I mean in the forum.

WRT water, I'm coming around to the idea of using distilled water for soaping although I'm an NYC drinking water patriot. I'm willing to fight people on this until the last breath. There is no reason to buy bottled water.

But soaping? If I can control a variable I will, and it's such a minor expense, why not?
I agree on your water. The NYC tap water is absolutely delicious! I have found other tap water that is also very good, but your's is really the first best tap water I ever tasted.

I agree on your water. The NYC tap water is absolutely delicious! I have found other tap water that is also very good, but your's is really the first best tap water I ever tasted.

LOL, it's not from the city. It's piped from upstate in a complex system.

I remember as a kid traveling outside the city, I forget where, and being really shocked (I think my phrase was "grossed out") by the tap water.

Other NYers may boast about the skyscrapers, the theater, the museums. But many cities have great architecture and high culture. They do not have our water.

You can substitute. Folks have successfully been making soap for hundreds and hundreds of years without DW. While the process of distillation has been around for thousands of years, the use of DW in soap making has only been something that is recent. And in researching commercial soap making and the benefits of using DW, I think I can say with almost certainty that they aren't using DW. If you have any doubts...think back to cleaning the bath tub before you started using artisan soap...I have definitely noticed the difference.

While DW is preferable because it doesn't contain any kind of contaminants...it's pretty much just 'pure' H20. But if you don't have access to DW (not everyone does), you can use other sources of water if that is all you have. And you don't have to use water, you can use milks, aloe vera juice and other liquids because the only reason why we use water in the first place really is to dissolve Sodium Hydroxide/Potassium. But if you do use other sources, you need to account for the contaminants. This can include running your Lye Solution through a coffee filter, fine cheese cloth or mesh screen to filter out bound contaminants and lowering your SuperFat.

ETA - I am not a science professional, but I can do the research.
I have used milks, teas, and other liquids as well. This was a simple experiment I mistakenly thought would be fun to do and to share with this group. After all the replies, including this BOOK, I have decided to look for a group that is respectful of each other, have at least a semblance of decent manners and can remember to be kind and humble.

Of course it can be substituted, but not without thought. That's all I meant.

I have used milks, teas, and other liquids as well. This was a simple experiment I mistakenly thought would be fun to do and to share with this group. After all the replies, including this BOOK, I have decided to look for a group that is respectful of each other, have at least a semblance of decent manners and can remember to be kind and humble.

Hon, you might want to check yourself before you grab your soap supplies and run off.

Dear @soapzbydezine, I am sorry if I or any of us seemed rude to you. I doubt anyone in this thread had that intent; I know I did not. My question was an honest question and not at all meant unkindly. I was simply asking for clarification. Anyway, that's one of the problems with not seeing a person face to face or at least hearing them when carrying on a conversation. If you were offended by my words, please accept my apology.

@soapzbydezine I am a little confused. Your original post was a great visual example of why to use distilled water. I read the following post that you referenced (the one by @TheGecko) as supplementing your comment about not substituting, in case anyone inexperienced read your response as meaning that one could not use anything but distilled water.

I read it as helpful, not impolite or disrespectful. But I agree with @earlene that tone is hard to read and easy to misunderstand. We do provide lots of running commentary and gentle ribbing around here but no one means to offend. Hopefully you will stick around, as we do love folks who conduct experiments and share pics.

I have decided to look for a group that is respectful of each other, have at least a semblance of decent manners and can remember to be kind and humble.
I would also like to apologize if I seemed disrespectful to you and your sincere effort to show how distilled water is better for making soap. :oops: Oops! Mea Culpa. My bad.

I just reread the thread and paid closer attention to your posts. I can now clearly see why you felt abused by my comments. Instead of responding to the intent of your experiment, I responded to this statement:
never used anything but distilled water, as we all do.
I should have clarified that's what I responded to when I said I use tap water... and then the discussion went off the rails about tap water and other options to using distilled water.

I'm sincerely sorry for that, but that's just how we roll here sometimes. :rolleyes: And sometimes it has the impact of being more hurtful than helpful to the OP.

I actually like the look of the dark filtered water soap better than the soap made with distilled water. BUT. Thanks to @TheGecko, I learned something I never knew before:
That would be because filtered water removes the nasties, but not the metals or minerals that are naturally occurring in the water.
That minerals and metals (and other contaminants) can affect the outcome of your soap. In the OPs example, it discolored their soap.
Thank You.gif

Old dog learning new tricks here!
Wave.gif
I'm rethinking using tap water and going back to distilled water!!! Afterall, as @DianaMoon wrote:
@soapzbydezine This has been very informative thread. I have bookmarked it for future reference. Please accept my apology and thank you for starting it.
Thanks.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back