Water soluble oxide paint

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean acrylic paint?

If so, you really shouldnt. Even though they are non-toxic, they are not approved for cosmetic use.

Also, in case you wanted to test it, I already did when I used to make MP soap just to see if i could get some more interesting colors. It doesnt work because the glues in suspension with the oxides and pigments solidify/clump together when added to the soap. This leaves colored specs in the soap kinda like when TD isnt mixed very well.

I took the OP's question to refer to the Iron Oxide watercolor type paints. They are non-acrylic. If I were you Regan, I would try to find the MSDS for the paint that you are thinking of using/buying. An example would be something like this

http://www.colorsofnature.com/assets/images/pdf/Black_Iron_Oxide.pdf

Although, unless you already have the paint on hand, it is usually cheaper to just buy the oxide/mica pigment rather than the watercolor paint. And, as Galaxy noted, I don't know how well the watercolor paint tablets would even work in Soaping.

On a side note, thanks for asking this question as looking into it may have led me to a cheaper supplier of pigments. I'll have to look into that a little further also. :)

OK, so a little research MIGHT go a long way. I'm definitely not a paint and canvas type of artist. So I was unaware that one could buy the pigment powders separate from the paint bases (I might still have this wrong ... lol). However, with a little perusing of an artist supply company's website, it appears that this is the case.

In fact, for me it may be cheaper to buy the "Bakers Dozen" of Pigments that Colors of Nature offers than to get my pigments from anywhere else. The Bakers Dozen gives you 100 grams (3.5 oz) of 13 oxides or aquamarines (only two to choose from) for $40 (U.S.). With shipping to Ohio added, that amounts to 45.5 oz of pigments for $57.43 or about $1.26 per oz of pigment. That's a bargain.

I've linked to this deal if anyone wants to check it out. I'm going to check the msds sheets on the colors I'd like and place an order. Although I just ordered a bunch of mica. lol

http://www.colorsofnature.com/BakersDozenPigments.html#

Years ago I came across this site, http://www.earthpigments.com/ and thought wow, they have some nice colors I could use in soaps. Then I read further.

"The Earth Pigments Company will not be held liable for damages of any kind, including without limitation any incidental, indirect, or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of, information available from this website, or produts purchased from us. Our sole responsibility will be to replace any product that is defective or unsuitable for a purpose for which we specifically stated otherwise.

Testing for cosmetic use is highly regulated to protect the small number of consumers that may experience a reaction to a particular ingredient. Since we have not participated in this type of testing The Earth Pigments Company makes NO claim whatsoever as to the suitability of ANY of its products for cosmetic use.

Our Ochers and natural loams have been used safely in soap manufacture. Those natural colors include our Ochers, Umbers and Siennas. However because the producing quarry does not promote these products for this use, it is up to the customer to perform testing of the final product.

Other pigment products sold by us, including Mineral Pigments, Oxide Pigments, Mica Powders, binders and mediums have not been tested for purposes other than natural, safe paints and finishes, and are not promoted for cosmetic use as their manufacture and processing have not been targeted for this use.

It is the responsibility of the consumer to use our products in a safe and responsible way. For use of our products other than those recommended, it is the responsibility of the customer to conduct compatibility testing."

Because they're not specifically intended for bath and body, and because I sell, that was enough for me to pass them by. So just be cautious.

I totally agree with Navigator and would pass on them. They state in their policy that they are only responsible when the product is used for the intended purpose, and they sell pigment for paint. If a customer had a problem and it could be proved it was the pigment which is not specified "cosmetic safe" I would guess it void your insurance. Not worth the small difference in price in my opinion. If you are not giving the products away or selling then the choice is yours. Although they give the msds sheet for all colors it does not state body safe or safe for use in cosmetics. MSDS sheets do not necessarily tell all about a product.

Last edited:
Glad I didn't order them yet. I will defer to more experienced soapers. I don't sell. But my kids use my soap and I do give away to family and friends. I'll just stick with the micas and ultramarines I ordered.

Back