Water Replacement

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
So I have made a couple goats milk soaps by replacing all my water with goats milk and adding lye to it frozen. So is it just as good to put half of your water to lye, let it cool then add the other half of water as goats milk or coconut milk or even aloe vera? And would you add that half to the oils or water/lye?

If you're going to split your liquid 50-50, It's best to fine what works for you. I'd personally add the goat's milk either at thin trace of to the oils before adding the lye. Depends on my recipe.

So what does it matter when you add the other 50%. Does it matter if you add that other 50% to the oil before you add the water/lye? Or if you add it after adding water/lye?

What I have done a couple times is mixed 50% of my water with all my lye, mixed all my oils as normal. Then at 90 degrees I added my other 50% liquid, which once was coconut oil and the second time was aloe vera, to the oils before I added my 50% water/lye mix. It is only been a couple weeks so I have not tried it yet

Then at 90 degrees I added my other 50% liquid, which once was coconut oil and the second time was aloe vera, to the oils before I added my 50% water/lye mix. It is only been a couple weeks so I have not tried it yet

Did you mean coconut milk?

What I have done a couple times is mixed 50% of my water with all my lye, mixed all my oils as normal. Then at 90 degrees I added my other 50% liquid, which once was coconut oil and the second time was aloe vera, to the oils before I added my 50% water/lye mix. It is only been a couple weeks so I have not tried it yet

I hope you get some positive feed back on that process. I did my first water replacement last week and did it exactly as you outlined. The only thing I noticed was thought I felt like the lye completely dissolved the lye/water mix was cloudy where in the past with full water it had not been. Which brings up the question, is there a limit as to how much of a water split that can be done? 50% cool additive and 50% water for dissolving the lye in, or can you push it to 75% cool additive and 25% water for dissolving the lye?

The limit is that you must use at least an equal weight of water (or water-based liquid) to dissolve the NaOH in. You cannot use less liquid because the NaOH will not completely dissolve if you do.

The NaOH will take longer to dissolve when making a 50% NaOH solution and the solution may look somewhat cloudy even when the NaOH is completely dissolved. Using a clear liquid (water) to make a 50% NaOH solution is wise -- you can see fairly easily if you've got the NaOH completely dissolved.

Last edited:
The limit is that you must use at least an equal weight of water (or water-based liquid) to dissolve the NaOH in. You cannot use less liquid because the NaOH will not completely dissolve if you do.

The NaOH will take longer to dissolve when making a 50% NaOH solution and the solution may look somewhat cloudy even when the NaOH is completely dissolved. Using a clear liquid (water) to make a 50% NaOH solution is wise -- you can see fairly easily if you've got the NaOH completely dissolved.

My water is 11.22 oz and lye is 4.8 if i remener right. Im using a 33% water to oils. Total oil is 34oz. So if i use half my water thats 5.61 so that is more than the lye so thats ok? Also for soap do you normally use 50% GM or CM or aloe vera? Or is it like soap and no more than 10%-12%?

My water is 11.22 oz and lye is 4.8 if i remener right. Im using a 33% water to oils. Total oil is 34oz. So if i use half my water thats 5.61 so that is more than the lye so thats ok? Also for soap do you normally use 50% GM or CM or aloe vera? Or is it like soap and no more than 10%-12%?

You are correct. I use just enough water to mix my lye maybe a bit more and use the remainder in milk, aloe juice, coffee etc. I add my other liquids to my oils before my lye mixture.

Last edited:

Yes that is fine. Tho I would use a 33% lye concentration (1 part lye to 2 part liquid) not 33% water to oils.

As far as the amount of milk or aloe, yes you can use that much. There is not that much fat in it to throw off your fatty acid mix.

Latest posts

Back