Water - How exactly is it calculated?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would direct you to the haven and starting point of many a great soapmaker for the number crunching behind the craft.

Millersoap.com

It's been around forever and has a magnificent collection of
great stuff. I too started there then found the SoapQueen TV
and from there all the forums and fun of researching.

Happy Browsing!

some calculate water as a percentage of the oils used.
i think that's utter nonsense and instead calculate the amount to achieve a certain lye concentration.

carebear said:
i think that's utter nonsense and instead calculate the amount to achieve a certain lye concentration.

I agree with Carebear.

Vintageliving said:
carebear said:

I agree with Carebear.

I'm new but I concur. Right now, lye concentration seems to only make sense to me.

Water

I agree with Carebear also. I calculate the sodium hydroxide depending on my blend of oils and the discount I'm applying, then calculate how much water to use to create a 40% lye solution. (Weight of NaOH divided by 0.4)

OK, so I just put my standard recipe in soap calc with a 40% lye conc. and it came out at 21.2% of water to oils instead of the usual 38% that soapcalc starts up with.
And a big red caution message !
My soap comes out just fine at 38% so I wont fiddle with it. (done enough of that!)

But it's handy to know for future recipes.

Carebear - what's your %?

My % depends on my formula, my FO, and my soaping temps...

anywhere from 27% to 50%...

for example, in general a 40% conc is pretty high for most soapers, but for castile it's actually on the low side.

Lye Solution Percent

Okay, I'm bringing this up again because I'm curious. I have been using a 40% lye solution for several years and am now wondering if that is a bit too high. What percent solution do you use and what factors cause you to increase or decrease the NaOH saturation? I'm thinking a less concentrated solution will trace a bit more slowly but my result in a more uniform consistency. Thoughts? Ideas? Reactions?

Re: Lye Solution Percent

Jaaret said:
Okay, I'm bringing this up again because I'm curious. I have been using a 40% lye solution for several years and am now wondering if that is a bit too high. What percent solution do you use and what factors cause you to increase or decrease the NaOH saturation? I'm thinking a less concentrated solution will trace a bit more slowly but my result in a more uniform consistency. Thoughts? Ideas? Reactions?

It's not too high if it's working for you and you're able to handle it. And yes, it makes sense that a less concentrated solution usually would trace more slowly (additional liquid). Usually is the operative word...depends on the recipe. I use 33% the majority of the time, but 50% on castile. 33% never seems to cause me a problem; it's a flexible ratio I think. Some of the fragrances I use argue with me if I go much above 33% concentration.

I've been reading about water discount. I would like to try my favorite recipe with a water discount. But, I'm confused after reading this thread...

Are you guys saying that you select the Lye concentration, instead of the water as percent of oils option on the soap calc? I have been using the soap calc with the standard- water % of oils at 38 and super fat at 5%.

But, I'm looking to use less water. So far, I just haven't found that perfect bar I'm looking for. Still tweaking and playing :)

MrsFusion said:
I've been reading about water discount. I would like to try my favorite recipe with a water discount. But, I'm confused after reading this thread...

Are you guys saying that you select the Lye concentration, instead of the water as percent of oils option on the soap calc? :)

yes

Back