water forming then Soda ash after during saponification on 3rd of my batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soapee Lye Calculator

Total Weights
Total Water Weight304 grams
Total NaOH Weight106 grams
Total Oil Weight800 grams
Fragrance Oil Weight24 grams
Total Batch Weight1,234 grams
Superfat5%
Lye Concentration25.9%
Water : Lye Ratio2.868 : 1
Saturated : Unsaturated25 : 75

Above is the last recipe I used that had the water form after I covered in cardboard and wrapped in a towel, 24 hrs later I had water on it like it was sweating. The temps I mixed at was 110 degrees. With lavender oil for scent. I waited 48 hrs before taking out of mold, but at 24 hrs I used a paper towel to dab the water off the top. I also used 91% alcohol spray like always before covering. I'm experimenting with another batch now with a 5% water discount and mixing at 120 degrees instead. Reason being is I believe my good batches were at 120 and not 110 but unfortunately did not log it :(. Any time I researched this it only come up with sweat from melting soap making only. I could not find anything on CP and sweating or water forming.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd try 31-33% lye concentration.
At 25% lye concentration you have a lot of water to cure out.
If you add water to mix colours or anything you are increasing the amount of water again.
What trace are you taking it to?
Sometimes if a soap isn't emulsified enough it separates out.
I'd stick to 110* F.

Is there a reason why you are using such a low lye concentration -- 26%? I'd be using more like 33% lye concentration. Reduce the water content and you may get better results, including less ash.

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and generally indicate the pH is a lot lower than the pH really is. Soap will have a normal pH in the 9.5 to 11.5 range, depending on the fatty acids in the recipe.

Actually, that was an accident. I didn't notice it till you just pointed that out. I'm wondering if I typed something wrong or I at least forgot to dbl check my work. I usually use 33% Thank you for pointing that out. I was hung up on temp, water amount and how I was covering it. Thatss probably my problem..

Thank you much

Actually, that was an accident. I didn't notice it till you just pointed that out. I'm wondering if I typed something wrong or I at least forgot to dbl check my work. I usually use 33% Thank you for pointing that out. I was hung up on temp, water amount and how I was covering it. Thatss probably my problem..

Thank you much
Great. Take really, really good notes so you can look back on your batches and compare.
You might also want to try a smaller batch - 500g total until you perfect your process.
If you can help it don't talk about "water discount". It is very confusing for everyone. Just use the "lye concentration" and everyone understands and you'll eventually get the hang of it too.

I'd try 31-33% lye concentration.
At 25% lye concentration you have a lot of water to cure out.
If you add water to mix colours or anything you are increasing the amount of water again.
What trace are you taking it to?
Sometimes if a soap isn't emulsified enough it separates out.
I'd stick to 110* F.

Just to follow up, I just dug though all my printed recipes that I've used lately and it was one recipe that I must of screwed up on and never noticed, I kept modifying it, but assumed it was still 33% lye and it was NOT!!. All of those except one had ash and water.. Problem solved, Glad I print and put recipe with each batch.. Pelelopejane, Thank you so much for pointing out my faux pa!!!

Thanks again, Sherm

Latest posts

Back