Water distiller UK

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amme20

Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of buying a water distiller rather than keep buying it - does anybody use one? if you do can you recommend any as there are so many out there.

I've considered a water filter as distilled water is hard to come by where I live in the UK so I look forward to hearing any responses. Sorry this doesn't help!

Lsg, do you know if this water would be acceptable for use in cosmetics? How does the water coming from here differ from distilled water coming from a gallon I wonder. I get that distilled water should be distilled water, but I'm wondering if there are any additional steps that are taken in industrial distillation methods. What about chloramine? Are there any nooks and crannies in a unit like this that could grow a biofilm and how would you address?

I live in the United States, so I am not familiar with the regulations where you live. I use the water from my distiller for all my B&B products. For lotions and most other B&B products except soap, I heat and hold the water to make sure to kill any organisms that are in it. For liquid shampoo and liquid dish detergent, I bring the water to a boil and leave at a boil for a few seconds before using. I no longer sell B&B products, so I am not up on current regulations.

I live in the United States, so I am not familiar with the regulations where you live. I use the water from my distiller for all my B&B products. For lotions and all other products except soap, I heat and hold the water to make sure to kill any organisms that are in it.
I also live in US. I am just not sure it industrial level distilling takes care of more than your average home distiller.

Also, sorry this has been edited about five millionty times...I'm still trying to formulate my thoughts this morning

Last edited:
I live in the United States, so I am not familiar with the regulations where you live. I use the water from my distiller for all my B&B products. For lotions and most other B&B products except soap, I heat and hold the water to make sure to kill any organisms that are in it. For liquid shampoo and liquid dish detergent, I bring the water to a boil and leave at a boil for a few seconds before using. I no longer sell B&B products, so I am not up on current regulations.

Why don't you use it for soap? Just curious.

Earlene, I meant that I heat and hold the water for everything except soap. I use as is for soap.:)

Thank you for that clarification, lsg. Sometimes I don't quite get the gist of an explanation and it nags at me not to understand.

I was looking at the reviews of one of the distillers at Amazon and in reading one, thought to myself, how is this saving the person money? For some I am sure it would, yet for others the it would seem they'd have to really have to be using a lot of distilled water for it to become cost effective. But it certainly would save on all those extra plastic bottles going to waste!

So how often do you have to change the charcoal filter? I didn't read much about that, partly because I am not tempted to add anything to this tiny house. But I may revisit this idea upon my return home as something to include in my (future) soap room. Decreasing plastic waste is something that I attempt to do whenever I can, and I can only re-use and re-purpose only so many plastic bottles.

I have a Megahome water distiller that I have used for about 9 months. I bought it because we go through distilled water like crazy. I have to use DW for my husband's respiratory equipment (ventilator, humidification chambers, etc.), and I use it for soap and occasionally for lotion. It has worked well with no problems, and I don't have to carry all that water home from the store. I re-use the gallon jugs that I had on hand previously from buying DW. There is a disposable charcoal filter that comes with this distiller, but I don't use it. It doesn't serve any particular purpose, and it is just an additional expense. Distilled water does not need to be filtered. All the mess that is in the water is in the bottom of the distiller when it completes its job. I do have to clean this sediment up with citric acid when it becomes difficult to wash it out. I don't have to do that very often since I don't have hard water. People who have hard water must clean the distiller with citric acid more often. It is also helpful to run a short cycle and leave some water in the bottom of the distiller if your water is very hard. It leaves enough water in the bottom of the distiller that the sediment does not dry out and stick to the bottom of the distiller. It was expensive, but it has already paid for itself at my house.

Mine doesn't have a charcoal filter. I bought mine in June 2013 and it was still working the last time I used it. Mostly, I purchased mine so I would have a ready supply of distilled water. I live in the country and didn't want to make a trip to the store just to get distilled water, and I didn't always remember to purchase water when I was shopping. You can let some white vinegar and water set in the distiller to dissolve the hard water deposits.

Latest posts

Back