Water discounting question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Can someone please clarify the water discounting thing for me? Am I correct in thinking that this is when you use less water than a soap calculator recommends for making the lye?

Is this to shorten time to trace, or to shorten curing time, or for another reason?

Becky said:
Am I correct in thinking that this is when you use less water than a soap calculator recommends for making the lye?
Yep! You got it!
Becky said:
Is this to shorten time to trace, or to shorten curing time, or for another reason?
It'll do both. It'll give you less time until you reach trace, and there will be less water that needs evaporating from your soap during curing, speeding up the process for you by a week or possiby two. There's probably a much thorough way of explaining it, but my brain long ago decided to only remember this much of it when it comes to the 'techy' side of water discounting, lolol.

Hope that helps ya!

Just a word of warning:
Don't plan on doing any swirling with this method because it does not give you enough time to do so. Believe me I know. :D

You can swirl. Just have to be quick and not let your soap get into a thick trace before doing so. I only do DWRTCP. I never do full water and swirl all of the time.

Latest posts

Back