Water discount?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
If I am to understand, a water discount is taken to "help" speed up cure time a bit. Correct? :?

How do you know how to calculate a water discount safely. I would also imagine this is not a practice that should be used often. I am looking into trying this with a castile/GM bar. Does this make sense?

TIA :D

ETA: Maybe I would not want to do a discount with GM, rather water?

See my responses in italics below.... :)

If I am to understand, a water discount is taken to "help" speed up cure time a bit. Correct? Confused

That's correct. The less water that there is to evaporate the faster the soap cures (to a point).

How do you know how to calculate a water discount safely.

You can go to soapcalc and change the number....the default is 38%....I back it off to 33% for a lot of my soaps. That seems to be a good number for me.

I would also imagine this is not a practice that should be used often.

I use a water discount most of the time, and then CPOP. You probably shouldn't do it with hot process soaps (at first anyways, although I have succeeded by moving fast, new FO's (especially florals and spice), or if you add something like stearic acid to your mix (although again, I can move fast and have done it successfully). Just be ready for your soap to trace faster and have your molds prepped and be ready to MOVE. :)

I am looking into trying this with a castile/GM bar. Does this make sense?

Castile is probably where a water discount makes the MOST sense.....good thought. It takes so long to set up that any help you can get is good. :)

TIA Very Happy

Not a GM soap maker...sorry I can't answer that one. :(

SimplyE said:

I would! Actually, I do it all the time with my goatmilk and coconut milk soaps. I soap them like I do my non-milk soaps- with a 33% lye solution. That's a good, safe water discount amount to soap with for most soaps, milk or not (at least that's been my experience).

HTH! :)
IrishLass

P.S. Mike gave you great answers to all your other questions. 8)

Thanks guys! I figured I was on the right track, but wanted to double check with you more experienced soapers. I tend to get confused with water discount/lye discount, etc.

:D :D

Latest posts

Back