water discount table for c/p soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsong

Reaction score
i found this some time ago in another forum, and this has cleared up alot of my discount questions:

LYE X WATER = SOLOUTION RATIO

lye x 1 = 50% (water discount)
lye x 1.5 = 40%
lye x 2 = 33%
lye x 2.5 = 28%
lye x 3 = 25%

hope this helps! :D

this has been corrected, as per carebear.

lye x 1 = 50% lye concentration
lye x 1.5 = 40% lye concentration
lye x 2 = 33% lye concentration
lye x 2.5 = 28.5% lye concentration
lye x 3 = 25% lye concentration

carebear said:

That's cool, but I need more explanation as to what it means?

carebear said:

thanks carebear-i'll make the correction. out of curiosity, what then is "full water"? 3.5?

full water

0 parts lye X 1 part wate = 0 % lye concentration which is full water or 100% water. the % of the deduction is actualy how much lye is in your solution of water combined with lye hope i didnt confuse you as much as i did me

"full water" is a nonsense terms - it simply means using the default amount of water recommended by the calculator, and different calculators recommend different amounts.

"discount" is the other nonsense term - because it means discounting (as in reducing) the amount of water, and the % discount is impossible to know unless you know the starting point, but since different calculators have different default amounts...

well you get the drift.

I use to work with 40%... and it´s fantastic because you dont have to wait a lot for the cure

But you have to work really fast!!!!! :D

I currently work with a 50% lye concentration on my soaps. I still like to leave them for the full 4 week cure.....the soap just gets better, even if it was rock hard from the start.

Back