Water discount on SoapCalc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKrynicki

Reaction score
I just purchased the Royalty Soaps piping set and after watching some of the exclusive videos, I noticed that a recipe says it's a 20% water discount. How do I put that in the SoapCalc? I want to save the special recipe, but don't know how to input the water discount in the app. Help!

You have to figure out what she is discounting it from first. If she considers 33% to be "full water" then you would add 20% to the total concentration. (Even though it's a "discount" a higher % solution = less water). I would do the math for example: 33% solution full water + 6.6 (I got this number 33x.2) = 39.6% or 40% lye concentration.

I don't know if that's correct or not - I don't understand the phrase "water discounting", so I have never pursued this line of thinking. In my world, you need equal amount water and lye to make soap. Anything after that is adding water, therefore you cannot discount water and make safe soap. Lye concentration or water to lye ratio should be the only terms we use. A good soaper would tell straight up what lye ratio or concentration to use instead of saying "discount" and not telling you what the starting point is... because really it could be anything. I typically soap at 25-28% concentration (although I'm experimenting more with 30-33% concentration lately), but my friend soaps at 37% concentration, so a 20% discount would be very different between our two recipes based on the starting point. [Stepping off my soap box now.]

Back to point... I would look at Katie's regular recipe to see what her lye concentration is and do the math from there. It's been many years since I bought my piping set and I wasn't impressed with her recipe, so the details are no longer in my memory as how she presented the recipe. I know it's exclusive and can't be shared here.

You have to figure out what she is discounting it from first. If she considers 33% to be "full water" then you would add 20% to the total concentration. (Even though it's a "discount" a higher % solution = less water). I would do the math for example: 33% solution full water + 6.6 (I got this number 33x.2) = 39.6% or 40% lye concentration.

I don't know if that's correct or not - I don't understand the phrase "water discounting", so I have never pursued this line of thinking. In my world, you need equal amount water and lye to make soap. Anything after that is adding water, therefore you cannot discount water and make safe soap. Lye concentration or water to lye ratio should be the only terms we use. A good soaper would tell straight up what lye ratio or concentration to use instead of saying "discount" and not telling you what the starting point is... because really it could be anything. I typically soap at 25-28% concentration (although I'm experimenting more with 30-33% concentration lately), but my friend soaps at 37% concentration, so a 20% discount would be very different between our two recipes based on the starting point. [Stepping off my soap box now.]

Back to point... I would look at Katie's regular recipe to see what her lye concentration is and do the math from there. It's been many years since I bought my piping set and I wasn't impressed with her recipe, so the details are no longer in my memory as how she presented the recipe. I know it's exclusive and can't be shared here.
If it's a 33% lye water solution, so how could I calculate that in the SoapCalc? Nevermind. I reread the post and spaced out lol I'm sorry. Thank you for your help.

Back