Water discount in GM soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity73

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wandering if anyone had done water reductions (milk) in goat milk soap at all? I have tried with a 15% reduction and seemed to have no problem , lye dissolved. But wandering if this is too much, i want to make some as gifts so do not want to risk doing discounts just in case. I have also seived the milk just to make sure there was no lye crystals at all.
Thanks

Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable folk will help us out :) I know I've been searching for the last few days and haven't been able to find an answer.

I'm purely guessing, but some of the answer might depend on whether you are using liquid milk or powdered milk. The minimum water might need to at least be enough to hydrate the powdered milk. Where as with liquid milk, you could simply do the water discount as normal.

But I will leave this up to those more knowledgeable than I am. I am but an egg.

I'm purely guessing, but some of the answer might depend on whether you are using liquid milk or powdered milk. The minimum water might need to at least be enough to hydrate the powdered milk. Where as with liquid milk, you could simply do the water discount as normal.

But I will leave this up to those more knowledgeable than I am. I am but an egg.

That is the think that im trying to work out :) ive used both liquid and powder , to me the powder would be easier as i could just have a little bit of water taken out to mix it in and mix the lye with the water. It is the liquid that that i am more concerned about as i cant really find any info on that with the fats etc. Although is soap calc it has milk fat bovine (any) not sure if that covers goat milk though.

I'm not an expert, but when I do goat milk, I use the full water amount, but split it between water and goat milk. So I might 1.4X lye for the water amount, and mix the lye with water. Then I add the remaining liquid as goat milk at trace when I add FOs and colorants.

You can absolutely do a 33% lye solution with fresh goat's milk. Higher than that I'm not sure about.

I have, sort of. Using canned goats milk and adding that to my master-batched lye solution (50% water/50% NaOH), with a net 38% lye concentration. Basically, I was using up some canned GM in the fridge and used it instead of additional water. And I add the canned GM to the oils, not the lye solution. So that's why I said, 'sort of.'

As stated it depends on if you are using liquid or powdered milk. I soap at 33% for one of my recipes. I use just enough water to mix my lye solution then use the remainder and add powdered milk in the amount to make it full milk. I then add my milk to my oils and blend well. Then add the lye solution.

Using liquid milk you need at least equal amounts of milk to lye regardless of the concentration. Not many people soap at 50% so it should be an issue. I never mix liquid milk with lye as it takes too long. I always mix my lye with water then if using liquid milk (canned) i'll add the difference in powdered to bring it to full milk to the liquid milk and add that to my oil..

Yes, you can do water reductions with milk soap. I do it all the time.

I basically do the same thing as Shari^^^, i.e., I use a 33% lye concentration (i.e., water as % of lye, not water as % of oils) and do the 'split method' of milk soaping by splitting the total liquid amount needed for my batch into part water/part milk:

I mix my NaoH with an equal amount of water in weight, then for the needed remainder of my total liquid amount, I use fresh goat milk (which I add to my oils before adding in my lye solution). That will give me about a 30% milk soap. If I want to do a 100% full-milk soap with the split method, I proceed the same way, but I fortify my fresh goat milk portion with enough powdered goat milk to bring it up to an equivalent concentration of a full-milk soap, and add it to the oils before adding in the lye solution.

I really like doing the split method of milk soaping because it's so much less of a hassle for me than the method of dissolving lye into frozen milk cubes. I confess that there's no love lost between me and the frozen method at all. I happily slammed the door in its face the first time I ever tried the split method, and I've never looked back. :lol:

IrishLass :)

IrishLass,

I do the frozen method mainly because I milk goats and end up with more milk than I can soap with, but since you've done both, do you find any difference in the finished soap between the two? I recently made a soap with water for the first time and was so impressed with how much more easy that is, so I can see why you switched.

And I do frozen milk 33% lye conc and it's fine so another vote for that one!

Latest posts

Back