Water bottle soap mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zolveria

Reaction score
I was wondering in the use of water bottle. for small guest soaps and possibly cutting the plastic and inserting in a round mold for texturing
1870.png

I will try this weekend. :) also crate and barrel has nice ice cube mold which im picking up saturday. to use that evening.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/red-i...18GcCcT5BkReEhQ-qS2tgiQjv86vDo6AjgaAuuT8P8HAQ

these are perfect for little hands in the tub.

JUICE boxes make perfect size bars Also. I have done this . just time consuming but perfect bar every time

I wouldn't do that, either. That is super thin plastic. And you need to be sure that is a 2 or a 5 in the little triangle on the bottom.

If you want skinny soaps, why not some 1-1.5 inch(2-3 cm) PVC and line with freezer paper?

Assuming you are looking to do a round puck or a half/circle as a loaf: If you find a pattern you like you can make a mold from it. See this page:

http://www.smooth-on.com/

Or any of the other ones that pop up when you search for "cast silicone mold" on Google. I've done these before (although not for soap) and they are quick, easy, and very good.

If you meant to make a log, as DD says that may be challenging to un-mold unless you create some sort of two-piece mold. That ups the time investment considerably.

I would definitely check on the bottom of the bottle to see what it's made of before attempting. If it's anything other than recycle code HDPE#2 or PP#5, or whatever plastic those Milkyway-type molds are made of, I wouldn't do it. But if they do happen to be made of either of those, it might be worth a try with a small sample batch, although you'll definitely have to 'break the mold' to get the soap out.

If the plastic is the right kind, and if it were me trying to attempt it, I would cut the bottle-neck off and 'grease' all around the insides with mineral oil, paying special attention to those creases. Also- I think I would try to prevent gel, and once it has set up, I would stick it in the freezer for a whole day or 2 to get it good and hard before cutting down the side of the bottle with a box-cutter or Exacto-knife to get the soap out.

IrishLass :)

If you merely want a round soap, you can get a round silicone tube mold from BB or from Essential Depot. Other place have round individual molds. If you want a round soap with a pattern, look into silicone mats for baking with shapes or patterns on them. I think they are for fondant? You could roll those up and stick them in a tube.

If you want a round soap with a pattern, look into silicone mats for baking with shapes or patterns on them. I think they are for fondant? You could roll those up and stick them in a tube.

Yes- silicone fondant mats. They make for excellent liners and they peel away from the soap 'like buttah'. I use them quite often. I custom-cut to size 4 separate sets to use in different molds, although I think they might be hard to extract from a round column mold, unless the mold came apart in 2-pieces, that is.

Yes- silicone fondant mats. They make for excellent liners and they peel away from the soap 'like buttah'. I use them quite often. I custom-cut to size 4 separate sets to use in different molds, although I think they might be hard to extract from a round column mold, unless the mold came apart in 2-pieces, that is.

Yeah, the silicone probably won't slide out. Maybe slide in a tube of wax paper, then slide in the silicone mat rolled into a tube?

I don't have any pics of my column mold, but hubby helped me figure one out. He took a length of pvc, and made a single cut down the side. I put a cap on the bottom, a clamp around the top, and use a silicone mat that come out over the top edge about 2". When I'm ready to unmold, I remove the clamp and cap, take a flat head screwdriver and "pop" the seam in a couple places. Then I grab the edge of the mat with pliers, and it slides right out.

My round mold looks like this, the bottom comes off and I use a can to push the soap out partway, then I can pull the plastic liner out the rest of the way. The liner is like that used for placemats or thin cutting boards.

image.jpg

bottle soap

I wouldn't do that, either. That is super thin plastic. And you need to be sure that is a 2 or a 5 in the little triangle on the bottom.

If you want skinny soaps, why not some 1-1.5 inch(2-3 cm) PVC and line with freezer paper?

I have the pvc molds... just a thought. My mind is forever seeing. MOLDS LMAO.

pvc mold

Yeah, the silicone probably won't slide out. Maybe slide in a tube of wax paper, then slide in the silicone mat rolled into a tube?

I have 2, a round and oval i made thanks to nizzy. 1 foot long. never had to line
i just pop it in the freezer for one our and it slides out.with a nudge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those bottles look like PET (#1 in the recycle code). I could be wrong, but if they are PET, the lye will deteriorte and the shape will change while the soap is heating up inside. Besides the lye eating them up.

If there is no recycle code visible, I suggest these two tests to determine durability:
1. Run very hot water into the bottle and watch for distortion. (My hot tap water is sufficient to melt a PET water bottle.)
2. Squeeze the empty bottle with your hand and feel if it is flimsy enough to become distorted.

These are not fool-proof ways to determine if it is, in fact, made of PET plastic, but if either of those two things happen, I would not risk putting lye soap batter into the bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back