Water As % Of Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 58545

Reaction score
So I am using a lye calculator, well 2 as I wanted to check something, actually 3.

But the default water as a % of oils is different.

For Soapcalc the default is 38%

But for soapmakingfriend it is 33.33%

And bramble berry is something else

Which is the correct one to use?

The lye amount is staying the same around 127.73 but the liquid is like this :

Soapcalc : 342g
soapmakingfriend : 255.46g
Bramble berry : 284.97g

Confused!

TL, DR: the correct setting to use is the one that works best for you and your recipe and soaping goals.

More detail:

The default water setting in SoapmakingFriend is 33% lye concentration, not water as percent of oils (WAPOO). This will give you much more consistent results from batch to batch. If you use other calculators, they generally default to WAPOO, and you have to manually select lye concentration instead.

The "best" lye concentration number will vary depending on your recipe; your process (whether you are doing CP, HP, or LS); and your end goals.

For instance, lower lye concentration (more water) is great for more swirling time in CP. But if you are starting with a slow-to-trace recipe (high lard, or high OO, for instance) you won't need as much water to make time for swirls.

HP or LS recipes in general use lower lye concentration (more water) than CP, too.

Higher lye concentration (less water) is great if you are doing CP and you want less soda ash, less chance of glycerin rivers, and quicker unmolding time. It's also good for speeding up trace in LS recipes, which is typically a positive thing.

HTH! :)

Last edited:
Hi, thank you. I think I get it so here is my recipe using soapmakingfriend, it look ok?

Liquid : 255.46g
Lye : 127.73g
Oil weight : 900g
Fragrance weight : 31.5g
Superfat : 5%
Total batch weight : 1314.7g
Lye concentration : 33.33%

Olive oil : 405g
Coconut oil : 270g
Shea butter : 90g
Cocoa Butter : 135g

CP soap

I always round up or round down the decimal gram amount. Way easier to weigh. You can then run it through the calc again to be sure and it should not change the outcome. ;)

Liquid : 255g
Lye : 128g
Fragrance weight : 31g
Total batch weight : 1314g

Hi, thank you. I think I get it so here is my recipe using soapmakingfriend, it look ok?

Olive oil : 405g
Coconut oil : 270g
Shea butter : 90g
Cocoa Butter : 135g

CP soap
Looks good! That amount of coconut oil would be too cleansing/stripping/drying for my skin, but it will definitely make a lot of bubbles, so if that's your goal, you are golden. :)

EDIT: If you haven't tried this recipe before, consider making a smaller batch. That leaves you with more ingredients - and storage space! - to play around with other recipes, too. Many folks start with 500-600g batches, which makes 4 to 5 soap bars. :)

Last edited:
Which is the correct one to use?
Just an FYI -- I always used and recommend 38% water to oils the first time you try a recipe. I have never experienced DOS or soda ash.

You can then switch to 2:1 Water : Lye Ratio (33.33%) if you have problems with your recipe. As @AliOop said, The "best" lye concentration varies depending on your recipe and method.

You will find over time and with more experience that there is no "one size fits all" for soap formulas. I still use 38% water to oils in some recipes, as well as 1.7:1 Water : Lye Ratio and others that are in between those 2 very different lye calculations. :thumbs:

Good shout, just about to post a new thread about my "experience"
??? What "shout" are you referring to?

TIP: To respond, go to the post, highlight just the sentence or 2 you're referring to, click "Reply" when it pops up, and there you have it. :thumbs:

Back