Washing Machine - Front or Top Load?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a kitchen remodel soon and I want appliances with as few electronics as possible.

I recently replaced my 1st gen LG front loader with a Whirlpool front loader. We initially had a mold smell start up with the original. Then we learned to leave our door open on it when not in use and stopped leaving wet things sitting inside of it. Oh, we use "Affresh" cleaner on it. That stuff works pretty well - got the mold smell right out.

Then we moved and had to put the LG into storage for a few months. Then, blech, couldn't get that odor out. Since we wanted a ventless dryer (the vent run is too long from my basement to outside and clothes took forever to dry), we decided on another front loader. DH likes appliances to match and ventless dryers are pretty rare so we went with the Whirlpool for both of them. So far it's been great!

It drove DH nuts that I once bought mismatching colors on washer/dryer machines since I could save $20 that way. Years and years of hearing about that... worst $20 I ever saved. :)

We have had front loaders in Europe since well before I was born 30 years ago, so the technology to get them right and working well had been around for a long long time. Ours is a miele and you can't beet good German engineering. I found the American toploaders to be worse than useless when I have had to use them while over on holiday. In my personal experience, they just don't seem to agitate the clothes adequately to remove dirt and use an inordinate amount of water to do a poor job. The rubber seals on a front loader can go mouldy, but if you wipe them regularly with a cloth that can be avoided.

Interesting point about the agitator vs. no agitator. I've been looking at top loaders for new laundry room, a washer without an agitator so's to wash pillows, cat beds, other lumpy things.

I have an ancient Maytag washer, probably 20 years old, that has never had a single problem. Not pretty, but probably the best washer I've ever had.

I guess thats another point. Some things say "dont wash with an agitator" or something like that. I just washed my friends huge sleeping bag in my front loader because his top loader was big enough, but had an agitator. I stuff everything in mine - down and other comforters, pillows, mattress covers, pet beds...

I have a maytag HE front loader and I'll never own another one. It cleans well enough but I find the reduced water doesn't wash away dog hairs that well and I've had nothing but troubles with the door lock mechanism. I can't wait for it to finally die so I can get a regular old top loader.

My top loader is 25 years old and still going strong. I'm dreading the day it can't be repaired. Have only had to replace the belt on it once. It's a Maytag and it has served us well.

We've had our Kenmore Elite front loader for 13 yrs now. Has been great, moldy smell was greatly reduced when I started using vinegar for rinse cycle. I try to leave the door slightly opened when done to help eliminate the smell. I noticed that they have odor eliminators for sale in the store next to the detergents. I bet we all have the ingredients in our stock to make it ourselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back