Was gentle now harsh- Merry Christmas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
I used the exact same CP soap receipe only I changed the water discount from 35 to 25. Could this adjust the soap enough that it is not as gentle on private areas as it was before? Do I need to let it cure longer? What else could have caused it? Used same methods also.
Thank you for any guidance and Merry Christmas to all

I used the exact same CP soap receipe only I changed the water discount from 35 to 25. Could this adjust the soap enough that it is not as gentle on private areas as it was before? Do I need to let it cure longer? What else could have caused it? Used same methods also.
I am thinking along the same lines as dibbles; did you try a new FO, EO, or any other additive? Did you cure it for the same amount of time as the last batch?

Also, can you be more specific about your oil, water and lye amounts? The term "water discount" doesn't have a standard definition so people won't all read that the same way. :)

When you say you “changed the water discount”, what do you mean by this?

32A719CF-D510-4A60-A72A-99D29E68A500.jpeg

I changed that from 35 on the first batch to 25 on the second batch everything else was the same. May have used it one week earlier.....

Most soapers don't use water as a percent of oils, because it can leave you with way too much or way too little water, sometimes not even enough to fully dissolve all the lye that is needed.

It's much better to use the lye concentration, or the water:lye ratio. That will give you much more consistent results.

What you're changing isn't "water discount". It's "water as % of oils". Some soap recipe calculators actually have a "water discount" setting, which is separate from "water as % of oils", so it's best to not use one name when you mean the other.

That said, as AliOop explained, it's best to switch entirely away from using "water as % of oils" and "water discount". These settings are outmoded methods with some serious disadvantages.

Lye concentration or water:lye ratio are better choices to use when calculating the amount of water for a recipe. These two settings are different ways of saying exactly the same thing -- they just look different. Pick whichever one makes the most sense to you and stick with it. (You cannot easily convert these settings into "water as % of oils" or "water discount", in case you were wondering.)

If you want more background please see Lye conc vs water:lye ratio | Soapy Stuff and Water in soap | Soapy Stuff

Last edited:
What you're changing isn't "water discount". It's "water as % of oils". Some soap recipe calculators actually have a "water discount" setting, which is separate from "water as % of oils", so it's best to not use one name when you mean the other.

That said, as AliOop explained, it's best to switch entirely away from using "water as % of oils" and "water discount". These settings are outmoded methods with some serious disadvantages.

Lye concentration or water:lye ratio are better choices to use when calculating the amount of water for a recipe. These two settings are different ways of saying exactly the same thing -- they just look different. Pick whichever one makes the most sense to you and stick with it. (You cannot easily convert these settings into "water as % of oils" or "water discount", in case you were wondering.)

If you want more background please see Lye conc vs water:lye ratio | Soapy Stuff and Water in soap | Soapy Stuff
Thank you so much for such a thorough response. I really appreciate it. It clarified my way of thinking kinda ;)

Latest posts

Back