warped soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiesmom

Reaction score
I have been using a crinkle cutter for my soap logs without problem. I am noticing now that the soaps are bowed to the point they appear to be slightly curved. I thought it was the cutter box (wood) but have discovered it's the crinkle cutter itself which is now slightly bending in the center as I cut the bars. This cutter is heavy duty stainless steel made for cutting soap. It appears it may just be weakening from use. I have a dough scraper type that is cutting perfect bars and the difference is that one is way sturdier and solid, the wavy one is a 2" wide strip with a large opening between it and the handle which makes it flex- you all know what I mean, they all look alike. I like the wavy cuts but haven't been able to find an alternative type for that. Does anyone know of anything that would do the crinkle cuts without flexing or a remedy for my problem. I'm willing to upgrade to a better cutting system so hoping to get suggestions and recommendations here. Thanks!

I had the same warping problem with a wavy cutter that I bought from a soaping vendor (can't remember which one, now). To make crinkle cuts, I now use my crinkle cutter made by Pampered Chef. Although the bottom of the blade is slightly curved like the shape of the rockers of a rocking chair instead of being flat, it is very sturdy and cuts straight without the least bit of bending.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Upon closer inspection of my setup--a wooden loaf-type box that came with the crinkle cutter and a dough scraper from a soap supply vendor--I noticed there were hairline cracks around the slot where the cutter goes allowing slight flexing there also. The cutter is definitely easily flexing in the middle so trying the Pampered Chef hoping it might be sturdier. I may spring for a wire cutter although I do like the wavy cuts in the bars. Appreciate your help!

Back