Warning Labels - Bath Bombs & Bubble Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In viewing ICNI label requirements, I found that bath bombs or bubble bars that include a surficant Like SLSa or SCI require a warning label that the product is intended for adult use only. There is a phrase that children can use the product with adult supervision. Am I the last person in the world to find this out?????
CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

We always labeled our B&B products that children were to use under adult supervision. You would be very surprised what children will eat.
My mint soaps also carried warning labels about using on mucus membrane areas, etc. You need to protect yourself.

We had a mother hand a child one of our marshmallow soaps in the backseat and the child ate it. Well after returning it back to the mother in liquid form all over the back of the front seat the child's mother called and threatened to sue us. My daughter asked her if she always feeds her child items without reading and why she would give her an item from a cosmetic sample box thinking it was food. It went nowhere because the package was fully labeled Soap, do not eat on each side, and came from a cosmetic sample box. Labeling saved us. The mother did not read. We never knew if she called an attorney or not but we heard no more about it. We also labeled our cupcake soaps clearly as to the fact they were soap and Do Not Eat. Even my granddaughter took a bite out of one once knowing her mom made cupcake soaps. All she said was, " Yuck Soap," she was about 4 at the time and would not touch cupcakes for a long time!! In fact, I felt so sorry for her I bought her to my house and made her cupcakes while she was watching me so she knew they were real editable cupcakes.

Last edited:
The mother did not read.

It's why I quit using Walnut Shells in my Pumpkin Pie soap. Right on the label, on its own line in big, bold, red capital letters: WARNING: CONTAINS WALNUT SHELLS! Had someone with severe nut allergies almost buy it. I knew I would have been covered had I gotten sued, but even if you win you lose because it costs money to defend yourself and good luck getting attorney fees.

It's why I quit using Walnut Shells in my Pumpkin Pie soap. Right on the label, on its own line in big, bold, red capital letters: WARNING: CONTAINS WALNUT SHELLS! Had someone with severe nut allergies almost buy it. I knew I would have been covered had I gotten sued, but even if you win you lose because it costs money to defend yourself and good luck getting attorney fees.
That stinks that some one was neglectful of their own needs on that level. I always look for warnings like that since my daughter has severe allergies and I can't read sometimes (I'm not joking). Thanks for being a crafter that highlights such warnings.

I don’t sell, but I do gift my soap and bath bombs. I think I have to go back to putting labels on everything for the safety of everyone. Remember the Tide pod challenge when some idiots were foolish enough to try to eat the detergent packs? And the special labeling and packaging to keep children from eating laundry pods? Anytime I need extra motivation to do my labeling to protect myself, I’ll think about that!

That stinks that some one was neglectful of their own needs on that level. I always look for warnings like that since my daughter has severe allergies and I can't read sometimes (I'm not joking). Thanks for being a crafter that highlights such warnings.

To be honest, it was less about others and more about covering my butt. I had included it in the Ingredients list, but as I was getting ready to print them, I remembered an article that I read on product litigation and so I changed it to make sure that if I got sued because of someone's utter stupidity, that there would be no question that I had done my due diligence.

I don’t sell, but I do gift my soap and bath bombs. I think I have to go back to putting labels on everything for the safety of everyone. Remember the Tide pod challenge when some idiots were foolish enough to try to eat the detergent packs? And the special labeling and packaging to keep children from eating laundry pods? Anytime I need extra motivation to do my labeling to protect myself, I’ll think about that!

And therein lies the biggest problem with product liability is that common sense doesn't apply. You have to pretty much think of anyway a person could possible abuse the item and then issue a warning against doing that.

Once upon a time I used to do a lot of charity baking...cakes, pies, cookies, bread. Finally quit because it got too restrictive. I didn't mind putting a label on it that said "Banana Nut Bread", but then I had to put a label that said "Banana Nut Bread - WARNING CONTAINS NUTS". And then it became that I had to list ALL the ingredients along with the warning, then I had to list all the ingredients in order by amount and the warning and then they want to be put a 'warning' about dairy and eggs and gluten and how the regular Banana Bread was made at the same time the Banana Nut Bread and therefore could have been exposed to nuts and don't forget to include your full name, address and telephone number.

Next time I was asked to bake something I gave them $20 and told them to go to the store.

Last edited:
And therein lies the biggest problem with product liability is that common sense doesn't apply. You have to pretty much think of anyway a person could possible abuse the item and then issue a warning against doing that.

I always remember the warning label on the chainsaw that said do not attempt to stop chainsaw with hands, genitals or feet :oops::oops::oops: so people eating soap doesn't surprise me.

Next time I was asked to bake something I gave them $20 and told them to go to the store.
🤣 glad to know someone besides me has that attitude, @TheGecko. Items sometimes sell for less than it cost me to make them, then add the time and work involved, and it’s easier to just give money!

I always remember the warning label on the chainsaw that said do not attempt to stop chainsaw with hands, genitals or feet :oops::oops::oops: so people eating soap doesn't surprise me.
Why do you suppose the instructions didn’t say the Chainsaw operator should use their head? Never mind.

To be honest, it was less about others and more about covering my butt. I had included it in the Ingredients list, but as I was getting ready to print them, I remembered an article that I read on product litigation and so I changed it to make sure that if I got sued because of someone's utter stupidity, that there would be no question that I had done my due diligence...
Do you have any idea how many products highlight milk and wheat but will have soy flour in it and I almost over look it. or have accidentally bought it because the soy product was not highlighted? I hate my issues with reading now, which a lot of people with certain neuro issues have to deal with. Even bolding the words is a huge help for me. You may be covering your butt but it's still more that what some bigger companies do and I appreciate that. I can't always have a sibling or my daughter double check ingredients because my brain missed it.

🤣 glad to know someone besides me has that attitude, @TheGecko. Items sometimes sell for less than it cost me to make them, then add the time and work involved, and it’s easier to just give money!

It wasn't the cost...it was the excessive restrictions which included providing my personal information to complete strangers in a litigious society.

Do you have any idea how many products highlight milk and wheat but will have soy flour in it and I almost over look it. or have accidentally bought it because the soy product was not highlighted? I hate my issues with reading now, which a lot of people with certain neuro issues have to deal with. Even bolding the words is a huge help for me. You may be covering your butt but it's still more that what some bigger companies do and I appreciate that. I can't always have a sibling or my daughter double check ingredients because my brain missed it.

No I don't, but I'm not a huge fan of 'soy' unless it is Soy Sauce and then I got with the low salt variety. My boss asked me once about my aversion to tofu and I explained it had to do with the movie Soylent Green and Charlton Heston screaming: "Soylent Green is people!" I got a blank look from everyone in the office...I sometimes forget I am twenty to forty years older.

I have Type 2 Diabetes...reading the labels isn't always helpful. I've had more problem with stuff supposedly geared for diabetics or is "low carb" or "low fat" or "low sodium" or whatever because companies make up for the 'low' whatever in other ways. What I have learned to do is simply eat whatever then test three hours later. If I'm in the 'green', I know I can eat it again. If I'm in the 'yellow' it becomes a treat. If I'm in the 'orange'...it's a complete no-go.

I think the issue with "soy" is that it's supposed to be 'good' for you...a 'healthy plant-based alternative' so it doesn't get labeled.

My boss asked me once about my aversion to tofu and I explained it had to do with the movie Soylent Green and Charlton Heston screaming: "Soylent Green is people!" I got a blank look from everyone in the office...I sometimes forget I am twenty to forty years older.

So very true! That was a classic! Charlton Heston made that movie, it’s a shame more people don’t know it.
It’s like we’re walking around saying in our heads, ”Oh my god! She knows my secret shame!” “Fever Pitch,” (2005). Any Red Sox fan of age now will never know the angst of those of us like Ben who grew up watching them in the 70s & 80s…
Now we’re relegated to remembering the “old days” when they lost all the time, and to quoting awesome movies, once mainstream but now obscure, like cracking an inside joke and you’re the only one laughing.
*sigh*
I truly understand your problem. 😌

Not my experience but I recently saw a video of a small business owner who makes feminine wash bars. One of her customers put the whole bar inside, I can't even fathom that though process

I can't fathom the need to. But then again, maybe she was made to feel that it was necessary.

I've taken to using my phone's camera app & enlarging the labels that way. Seems to work better than even my readers or a magnifying glass with some labels. Aging eyes. Sigh.

My boss asked me once about my aversion to tofu and I explained it had to do with the movie Soylent Green and Charlton Heston screaming: "Soylent Green is people!" I got a blank look from everyone in the office...I sometimes forget I am twenty to forty years older.

Their parents just didn't raise them right! My sons both know what Solyent Green is. Of course they are both over 50 now themselves, so maybe that's not saying much. But I'd be willing to bet that my granddaughter who is 20 also knows what Solyent Green is as well, because of her eclectic tastes in films, including the bizarre as well as the popular (it runs in the family, for sure.) And she is a learning sponge, so whenever we (older folks) talk about stuff from our experience she takes it in and remembers.

...Their parents just didn't raise them right! My sons both know what Solyent Green is. Of course they are both over 50 now themselves, so maybe that's not saying much. But I'd be willing to bet that my granddaughter who is 20 also knows what Solyent Green is as well, because of her eclectic tastes in films, including the bizarre as well as the popular (it runs in the family, for sure.) And she is a learning sponge, so whenever we (older folks) talk about stuff from our experience she takes it in and remembers.
So... It's not a book? I have never seen the movie and only know recognized the reference from TV. I also give a side eye to the soy products called "Soylent" because of it.

Their parents just didn't raise them right! My sons both know what Solyent Green is. Of course they are both over 50 now themselves, so maybe that's not saying much. But I'd be willing to bet that my granddaughter who is 20 also knows what Solyent Green is as well, because of her eclectic tastes in films, including the bizarre as well as the popular (it runs in the family, for sure.) And she is a learning sponge, so whenever we (older folks) talk about stuff from our experience she takes it in and remembers.

Both of the young guys in the office rented the movie and loved it.

So... It's not a book? I have never seen the movie and only know recognized the reference from TV. I also give a side eye to the soy products called "Soylent" because of it.

It's loosely based on the 1966 science fiction novel "Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison. It was first shown in the theaters and then later on television (where I watched it). You can find it on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies, Apple TV, etc for $4.00USD or less. Just remember that it was made in 1973.

It's loosely based on the 1966 science fiction novel "Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison. It was first shown in the theaters and then later on television (where I watched it). You can find it on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies, Apple TV, etc for $4.00USD or less. Just remember that it was made in 1973.
That won't be an issue. I do occasionally watch classic Doctot Who (I like the second, third, and fourth doctors and ignore the one in the technicolor clown suit).

My husband & I had a good laugh when seeing "Soylent" in a shop window in Italy. I snapped a photo, in fact & sent it to my son same day.
For you Earlene :D
1652777393431.png

Latest posts

Back