Warning: Addiction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I asked if this worked because these have *NEVER* worked for me - and they are possibly the first reason I started purchasing EOs. (So, happy results in long term, but none for original intent)
Tried this weekend: We have lots of different salts here, and have coarse kosher salt. Mixed it with EO. Left overnight. Washed 2 loads: One also went into the dryer, the other is hang dry.

Nothing.
Nada
Zip
Comment on the page Kiwimoose linked indicated that laundry detergent just washes away oils.
That would be my understanding too, but at my stage of brain decay I do not trust anything my brain says.

So, can anyone help/hand hold?
I would dearly love to scent my laundry and the storebought scented soaps are horrid and allergy triggering. I can handle Downy Infusions, but they are soooo expensive.
Searchign now for 'ask a chemist' websites that cater to morons like me. heh heh
Sorry it didn't work fro you. I definitely noticed a scent when I made mine ( using FOs not EOs), but with the actual Scentsy ones it's VERY noticeable. Maybe you should try them and see if they work for you? Also I love their dryer disks - they seem expensive but they last for months!

Thanks.
I do not buy scentsy products nor ever will.
I will try FO's
Sorry it didn't work fro you. I definitely noticed a scent when I made mine ( using FOs not EOs), but with the actual Scentsy ones it's VERY noticeable. Maybe you should try them and see if they work for you? Also I love their dryer disks - they seem expensive but they last for months!

The key is FO's.
Haven't even finished drying the sheets, but they smell of roses and just got a positive comment from hubs after he took the kids out after dinner (dryer vent smell!).
The wet sheets even still smelled nice coming out of the dryer.

This has been baggage of annoyance for years.
THANK YOU for helping solve this!

Now I am making a new shopping list of FO's to try to dupe our house 'signature EO scent'.

>happy dance!<

Okay, I asked if this worked because these have *NEVER* worked for me - and they are possibly the first reason I started purchasing EOs. (So, happy results in long term, but none for original intent)
Tried this weekend: We have lots of different salts here, and have coarse kosher salt. Mixed it with EO. Left overnight. Washed 2 loads: One also went into the dryer, the other is hang dry.

Nothing.
Nada
Zip
Comment on the page Kiwimoose linked indicated that laundry detergent just washes away oils.
That would be my understanding too, but at my stage of brain decay I do not trust anything my brain says.

I would dearly love to scent my laundry and the storebought scented soaps are horrid and allergy triggering. I can handle Downy Infusions, but they are soooo expensive.
Searchign now for 'ask a chemist' websites that cater to morons like me. heh heh
I had the same result today. I only waited 30 minutes after combining salts and EOs - maybe should have been longer - then added to rinse cycle. NO fragrance whatsoever after the load spun dry.I did add a bit more EO than was suggested. 🤷🤷. Guess I will go back to putting a few drops of EO onto wool dryer balls. Don’t get much scent that way either, but more than the salts.

I meant to add that I DID try something else from this website - coconut oil and baking soda to get rid of sticky label residue. IT WORKED! So, thanks for the link to this website, @KiwiMoose!

I had the same result today. I only waited 30 minutes after combining salts and EOs - maybe should have been longer - then added to rinse cycle. NO fragrance whatsoever after the load spun dry.I did add a bit more EO than was suggested. 🤷🤷. Guess I will go back to putting a few drops of EO onto wool dryer balls. Don’t get much scent that way either, but more than the salts.

I have yet to try dryer balls, but I want to ensure that the flash point of my EOs is higher than my dryer temp and it probably is not but I am being really creeped out by my inability to understand things because my brain is going and this run on sentence was intended to illustrate how messed up my head is! LOL
I was actually thinking of a post wash spray similar to my 'air freshener' which is basically witch hazel, water, and EO, but I do not know how witch hazel affects clothing dyes. That might make more sense to me. I am okay wiht the extra step - especially since to 'freshen up' clothes that have been in teh closet would just be a matter of spritz spritz spritz!

Nothing.
Nada
Zip

The simplest method for scenting laundry is to add several drops of essential oil to wool dryer balls which also help dry clothes faster.

The simplest method for scenting laundry is to add several drops of essential oil to wool dryer balls which also help dry clothes faster.
That’s what I reverted to. Have been using lavender EO on my wool dryer balls for years. But would have been happy if the salt and EO combo had worked in the rinse cycle! I hang dry my laundry 6 months of the year and pinning up a fe dryer balls on the laundry line just wouldn’t work (plus the neighbours already think I’m weird to hang my laundry out to dry! Can’t give them any more ammunition)

That’s what I reverted to. Have been using lavender EO on my wool dryer balls for years. But would have been happy if the salt and EO combo had worked in the rinse cycle! I hang dry my laundry 6 months of the year and pinning up a fe dryer balls on the laundry line just wouldn’t work (plus the neighbours already think I’m weird to hang my laundry out to dry! Can’t give them any more ammunition)
I really like the idea of hanging dryer balls out on the line!

Hey, they can't claim you don't have the "balls", if they are drying on the line!

In New Zealand it's commonplace to have washing on the line. Not many homes have dryers ( well, TBH in the latter years more and more people do). Dryers are only used when the weather makes it too difficult use the line - a secondary option so to speak.

Last edited:
I miss having a clothes line. Sleeping on sheets that have dried in the fresh air is the best! My mom didn’t have a dryer until I was probably around 15. In the winter months she had lines in the basement to dry the clothes.

Note: Switched to FO & dryer balls (why do they always want to go inside my underwear?!?).
Been a freakin wonderland ever since.
Lately been using an FO that I got for possibly using on candles, but it smells like the inside of grandmas purse, so you KNOW i am using it for laundry!
I either like to smell like a middle aged woman just back from her first trip to Hawaii, or the inside of grandmas purse.

My therapist says this is okay.
I beg to differ, but that is where we are at.

Edit to Add: Most commonly outside of grandmas purse, etc, it is Clean Cotton and English Lavender from NDA. CCotton tends to overpower so have to go *very* gentle with it.

I miss having a clothes line. Sleeping on sheets that have dried in the fresh air is the best! My mom didn’t have a dryer until I was probably around 15. In the winter months she had lines in the basement to dry the clothes.
I agree, @dibbles - line dried sheets are the best! And towels. I love the way towels are kind of rough after being dried on the line in the sunshine. Feels so good after a shower!
had to put my clothesline away for the winter last month, days too short and temperatures too cold. Sigh.

Back