Warning: Addiction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhZo

Reaction score
So, it has been awhile since I joined at the beginning of my melt and pour escapades. I am not smrt enough to do CP and that is probably best for all involved (!)
However, just a warning:
It still does not stop at 'just a few bars for fun, or around the home'.

Got into:
- Soy candles
- Roll on EO fragrances (with my own 'signature' scent?!?)
- Perfume
- Diffusers (of course)
- Lip Balm
- Hand Soap
- Body Soap
- Bath Salts
- Moustache Wax
- Beard Oil
- Shaving soap
- Beard balm

We have not purchased any of those products for many months.
Yes, it would probably make more sense to keep up with the kool kids and do CP, but again: not even smart enough for that at all.
So - Warning to new people - what I would want to tell myself when I got interested: Be prepared for a whole new beautiful world, meeting some great people, and never having to think twice about gifts!

That is truly an impressive list! I haven't bought store bought soap in several years and am scared to do a cost analysis -- addictions often take a toll on the wallet. But isn't great to feel good about less packaging?

Okay, if you knew me in junior high -- no one would ever group me in with the kool kids, LOL.! I did melt and pour for years and liked the creative aspect. I got into CP 5 years ago and I've stuck with it because of how my skin has healed -- I always found my M&P too drying. The M&P work in Basti's Adventures in Soap (2023) took my breath away.

I'm going to politely pick a bone with you! You have made twelve different home and bath/body products. I'm guessing you started with a base recipe and then experimented with color and scent. I'm guessing that you tweaked ratios of wax and oils in your balms. I'm guessing you know how to weigh things. So I'm confident you have what it takes to make CP! Truth be told, online calculators tell me how much lye, water, and oils to use -- the people that created online calculators are the smart kool kids! The one downside is the patience required in waiting during the weeks-long cure. My balms provide much more instant gratification.

And you're right about this beautiful world full of great people! Thanks for sharing the warning -- altho' if I dare speak for others, if you've found this forum, you're already too far gone. :)

That is truly an impressive list! I haven't bought store bought soap in several years and am scared to do a cost analysis -- addictions often take a toll on the wallet. But isn't great to feel good about less packaging?

Okay, if you knew me in junior high -- no one would ever group me in with the kool kids, LOL.! I did melt and pour for years and liked the creative aspect. I got into CP 5 years ago and I've stuck with it because of how my skin has healed -- I always found my M&P too drying. The M&P work in Basti's Adventures in Soap (2023) took my breath away.

I'm going to politely pick a bone with you! You have made twelve different home and bath/body products. I'm guessing you started with a base recipe and then experimented with color and scent. I'm guessing that you tweaked ratios of wax and oils in your balms. I'm guessing you know how to weigh things. So I'm confident you have what it takes to make CP! Truth be told, online calculators tell me how much lye, water, and oils to use -- the people that created online calculators are the smart kool kids! The one downside is the patience required in waiting during the weeks-long cure. My balms provide much more instant gratification.

And you're right about this beautiful world full of great people! Thanks for sharing the warning -- altho' if I dare speak for others, if you've found this forum, you're already too far gone. :)
Thank you.
Appreciate the bone picking, but autism/add/early dementia coupled with loss of motor functions due to other festivities insist that looking at the recipes for CP is overwhelming enough! :) I am actually not certain how much longer I will be able to MP because even though I keep a crafting journal, I can not always 'understand' what I wrote no matter how clear it was when I wrote it! LOL
If I found an 'in person' class, though - I might change my mind, but I am disabled and not quite as ambulatory as necessary for those.

But yeah: I tend to combine recipes on the beard balms and waxes, looking for the 'important stuff' and seeing what varies in other recipes. Took me a few tries to get a moustache wax that works for my current length, but I only make a small tin at a time.

And this forum was a primary instigator in expanding this whole craft niche thing, besides my punk rock/DIY attitude.

As for your quandary about costing and comparing to store bought, please do not forget to factor in the entertainment value. If my soap is more expensive, but entertains me by researching recipes, dreaming fragrance/colour combinations, shopping, the excitement of getting a delivery, the anticipation of starting a new batch, the feeling of accomplishment when it is done, the smells of EO & FO in the house, and of course having to give it away because I have WAY TOO MUCH and want to do a new batch...? Well, that is definitely worth additional costs!

I've kept my digressions fairly minimal:
Started with CP
Dog Soap ( CP)
Shave Soap (CP)
Syndet Shampoo bars
Scented Laundry Salts
Lotion Bars
I will never make candles because they don't interest me in the slightest.

Tell me more about laundry salts besides what I read on random googles if you have the time?
I think I can trace my interest here going back to wanting to scent my laundry, actually. I am allergic to most store bought laundry scents (that is a lie: I just HATE them with the burning passion of a galaxy of suns...or something as dramatic (not a complete lie, actually)) and tried the whole EO in the laundry with unscented detergents based on a bunch of random homesteader BS - none of which worked.

I *can* handle, and enjoy, Downy Infusions Calm (Lavender and Vanilla I think), but that stuff is soooo expensive.
I notice that laundry salts can help keep dark colours dark. I only wear black, so if that is the case...!

oh, addendum:
Because I live with fibromyalgia, one the "learn to do" list are bath bombs - because I spend WAY too much time soaking in hot water just to function for an hour or two!
So yeah - let us make it bubby, fragrant, and fun...since I am gonna be there awhile! LOL

Thank you.
Appreciate the bone picking, but autism/add/early dementia coupled with loss of motor functions due to other festivities insist that looking at the recipes for CP is overwhelming enough! :) I am actually not certain how much longer I will be able to MP because even though I keep a crafting journal, I can not always 'understand' what I wrote no matter how clear it was when I wrote it! LOL
If I found an 'in person' class, though - I might change my mind, but I am disabled and not quite as ambulatory as necessary for those.

But yeah: I tend to combine recipes on the beard balms and waxes, looking for the 'important stuff' and seeing what varies in other recipes. Took me a few tries to get a moustache wax that works for my current length, but I only make a small tin at a time.

And this forum was a primary instigator in expanding this whole craft niche thing, besides my punk rock/DIY attitude.

As for your quandary about costing and comparing to store bought, please do not forget to factor in the entertainment value. If my soap is more expensive, but entertains me by researching recipes, dreaming fragrance/colour combinations, shopping, the excitement of getting a delivery, the anticipation of starting a new batch, the feeling of accomplishment when it is done, the smells of EO & FO in the house, and of course having to give it away because I have WAY TOO MUCH and want to do a new batch...? Well, that is definitely worth additional costs!

Tell me more about laundry salts besides what I read on random googles if you have the time?
I think I can trace my interest here going back to wanting to scent my laundry, actually. I am allergic to most store bought laundry scents (that is a lie: I just HATE them with the burning passion of a galaxy of suns...or something as dramatic (not a complete lie, actually)) and tried the whole EO in the laundry with unscented detergents based on a bunch of random homesteader BS - none of which worked.

I *can* handle, and enjoy, Downy Infusions Calm (Lavender and Vanilla I think), but that stuff is soooo expensive.
I notice that laundry salts can help keep dark colours dark. I only wear black, so if that is the case...!
Coarse salt plus fragrance. Easy peasy. I used to buy Scentsy ones but they are soooooo expensive. How To Make Super Cheap Laundry Scent Boosters

Thank you.

I love your vivid writing -- especially capturing the "entertainment value"! Love those delivery days and going to my basement to check on/smell/view soap.

I have long had sensitivity to store-bought scented laundry detergent (and fabric softener is even more toxic). Mrs. Zing makes soap detergent with fels naptha soap, washing soda, and borax.

Mrs. Zing struggles with pain and lives for epsom salt baths.

Started with CP
Dog Soap ( CP)
Shave Soap (CP)
Syndet Shampoo bars
Scented Laundry Salts
Lotion Bars
Dog soap? @KiwiMoose that’s fun! I just searched it and saw a cute pic of Maggie picking a dog soap! Might have to make Doodle Bug some soap…. 🐾🌸

So, it has been awhile since I joined at the beginning of my melt and pour escapades. I am not smrt enough to do CP and that is probably best for all involved (!)
However, just a warning:

Got into:
- Soy candles
- Perfume
- Diffusers (of course)
- Lip Balm
- Hand Soap
- Body Soap
- Bath Salts
- Moustache Wax
- Beard Oil
- Shaving soap
- Beard balm

Yes, it would probably make more sense to keep up with the kool kids and do CP, but again: not even smart enough for that at all.
So - Warning to new people - what I would want to tell myself when I got interested: Be prepared for a whole new beautiful world, meeting some great people, and never having to think twice about gifts!
Good on you!
I just made my first bath salts for Christmas presents and they turned out really well. So easy and quick! None of this CP curing time!

However, just a warning:

Got into:
- Soy candles
- Perfume
- Diffusers (of course)
- Lip Balm
- Hand Soap
- Body Soap
- Bath Salts
- Moustache Wax
- Beard Oil
- Shaving soap
- Beard balm

That is quite the list! I started with hot process soap years ago, because all the soaps in the stores that were supposed to be unscented picked up the scent from the others near them.
I make my own shampoo bars, lotion bars, lotion, lip balm, laundry powder, bath bombs. I tried making mineral make up, but it turned orange on my face, so I gave that up. This fall was the first time I was brave enough to try mica powder, but it had to be from oxides not fd&c colors(they have sulfites in them). I tried using EO's but after a little bit I couldn't stand the smell and ended up giving them all away.
🙏you have a little longer to enjoy your crafting and they actually come up with medication that helps.

No it doesn't. I got into soap making...Cold Process...as a 'hobby'...I just wanted to make Goat Milk Soap. I now run a small business. It started with soap...with led to lotion bars because I only need to purchase Beeswax. And my attempt to make a Salt Soap has led to making Bath Salts. I will probably add Lip Butter, Kitchen Soap, Hand/Body/Foot Lotions, Sugar & Salt Scrubs and Whipped Body Butter and Whipped Soap. I have zero interest in making candles. I also have zero interest in making bath bombs. With the exception of the Lotions (purchased base)...all the rest uses pretty much the same ingredients. Candles, Bath Bombs, Shampoos/Conditioners, etc require almost completely different ingredients.

YES! @Creepy you expressed exactly how I feel 😁 If I’d had any idea 10 months ago how much time and MONEY I’d have spent on soaping by the end of 2022 - I may never have taken the plunge. But this new passion/hobby/learning curve has given me so much in the way of learning and entertainment - and I’m still not back to travelling so those travel dollars may as well go to soaping! (And wet felting but thats a whole other rabbit hole)…

They're not as strong as the scentsy ones (which I LOVE) but they do the job. I think I need to find a stronger fragrance oil or not be as stingey with it to get it as strong as the scentsy ones. Clothesline Washer Whiffs Tub
@KiwiMoose - I’ve never heard of scented laundry salts - I’m intrigued. I followed your link but didn’t see when to add the salts to the wash (rinse cycle?) or how much to use.
I’m recovering from the #@&!% Covid virus this week and my smeller is on hiatus BUT the ease of making laundry salts is about all I’m up for. I’m bored and lethargic so this easy peasy formula looks perfect as long as my ineffective smell receptors don’t trick me into adding too much eo!

That is quite the list! I started with hot process soap years ago, because all the soaps in the stores that were supposed to be unscented picked up the scent from the others near them.
I make my own shampoo bars, lotion bars, lotion, lip balm, laundry powder, bath bombs. I tried making mineral make up, but it turned orange on my face, so I gave that up. This fall was the first time I was brave enough to try mica powder, but it had to be from oxides not fd&c colors(they have sulfites in them). I tried using EO's but after a little bit I couldn't stand the smell and ended up giving them all away.
🙏you have a little longer to enjoy your crafting and they actually come up with medication that helps.

I was thinking about making my own makeup since some of my powders (micas?) say they are okay for eye makeup.
But I doubt I will be able to make an eyeshadows that will rival my MAC addiction, but that is a whole other story...!

I was thinking about making my own makeup since some of my powders (micas?) say they are okay for eye makeup.
But I doubt I will be able to make an eyeshadows that will rival my MAC addiction, but that is a whole other story...!
Yes, I thought about making eye shadow... it's kind of pointless on me since I gave up trying to find mascara or any other makeup that was safe. But I had my fun back in the 90s.

Started with CP
Dog Soap ( CP)
Shave Soap (CP)
Syndet Shampoo bars
Scented Laundry Salts
Lotion Bars
Scented Laundry Salts. Is this product similar to laundry soap? I love the name. Always a salt fan here.

@janesathome and @bwtapestry - the salt is really just a vehicle for the fragrance, although I
guess it it does soften the water somewhat. Have a look at the Scentsy link above for more info. Just just add a scoop into the barrel of your washer before adding your dirty laundry and detergent of choice.
Thanks! I did try to find that info in the link but must have missed it. Appreciate the response, @KiwiMoose

They're not as strong as the scentsy ones (which I LOVE) but they do the job. I think I need to find a stronger fragrance oil or not be as stingey with it to get it as strong as the scentsy ones. Clothesline Washer Whiffs Tub

Okay, I asked if this worked because these have *NEVER* worked for me - and they are possibly the first reason I started purchasing EOs. (So, happy results in long term, but none for original intent)
Tried this weekend: We have lots of different salts here, and have coarse kosher salt. Mixed it with EO. Left overnight. Washed 2 loads: One also went into the dryer, the other is hang dry.

Nothing.
Nada
Zip
Comment on the page Kiwimoose linked indicated that laundry detergent just washes away oils.
That would be my understanding too, but at my stage of brain decay I do not trust anything my brain says.

So, can anyone help/hand hold?
I would dearly love to scent my laundry and the storebought scented soaps are horrid and allergy triggering. I can handle Downy Infusions, but they are soooo expensive.
Searchign now for 'ask a chemist' websites that cater to morons like me. heh heh

Back