Warm weather... softer soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
Does the warm weather contribute to soaps firming up long. I seems tome that during the winter time, Ieas able to unmold sooner? Any help or suggestions welcomed.

I don't find that to be the case, at least not for me anyway. For what it's worth, I live in a hot desert climate. The thing that determines how long it takes my soap to firm up enough to unmold/cut is my water amount and whether or not I gel.....

A 33% lye concentration and full gel gives me a soap firm enough to unmold/cut anywhere between 6 hours to 18 hours (depending on my formula), no matter what the ambient temp inside my home, while batches with more water than that and/or no gel take longer to firm up enough unmold and cut no matter what the ambient temp.

For what it's worth, the ambient temp inside my home ranges between 68F to 80F depending on the time of year.

IrishLass :)

I believe hot weather could contribute to faster set up time because it can help heat up the soap. I have had soap heat up quite a lot more than normal in the heat of summer than it does in the winter when not insulating.

Whereas in the very coldest part of winter, I know that at least one member here has mentioned using the snow (I would probably just use my cold concrete garage floor) to inhibit soap from gelling.

But I am not sure if your question is does the heat make it take longer to firm up? If so, it would depend on if the heat is so high that it keeps the soap too hot. I believe that could happen if it gets as hot enough, but unless you are putting your soap in a spot where the heat is far more than you or your pets can personally stand, probably not.

Thank you all. It may just be the recipe, I m guessing. It was about 80ish in temperature and I insulated it, should I still be insulating in this type of room temperature?

I insulate all my soaps regardless of weather temperature. Sometimes when it's warmer they just require less insulation. I've not noticed any difference in the texture or that it's any softer. I usually un-mold in 8-12 hours.

I insulate all my soaps regardless of weather temperature. Sometimes when it's warmer they just require less insulation. I've not noticed any difference in the texture or that it's any softer. I usually un-mold in 8-12 hours.
I wish, the last soap took 48 hours and it was still soft. I’ve never unmolded less than 24 hours due to soft ness

I am sure it depends a lot on the recipe and type of mold. Some recipes I used in the beginning took 48 hours, but also some molds hold the moisture in the soap more than others. Other recipes take a lot less time to unmold, regardless of the mold used. Larger batches in a single mold can take longer than when the same batch is divided into a few smaller molds.

This is the recipe and the mild I use is wooden with plastic liner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 7
Not sure where you live but here, as it starts to warm up the humidity also increases and can slow down set up time.

In the hot summer or in the dry heated winter house, I can cut within 12 hours. In the rainy spring/early summer, I might need to wait 24+ hours.

Latest posts

Back