Want to share my soap experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fillycate

Reaction score
So, beyond just interest in goat milk soap, I am interested in making kefir soap. I am aware that the probiotics don't survive. I am aware that kefir has a different pH. This is an adventure in experimentation.

My intention is to create a shampoo bar. So this recipe is high in castor oil. The olive oil component is relatively high, and I infused the olive oil with four herbs that I have had good results with in the past on my skin and hair: Rosemary, nettle, burdock, and yellowdock.

The thing I was not expecting was when I put the lye/kefir with the herb/oils, there was a magical color change, I assume is connected to how one or more of these herbs responds to pH change.

I have no idea if the color will stay. I was not expecting the color at all. I hope it stays. It is delightful!
20200720_203527.jpg

The other thing I wasn't expecting was how fast it came to trace. I understand that additives often do this. I am glad I poured when I did, it was almost too late. There will likely be some air pockets.

If you are wanting answers, you will have to post your recipe, along with the additives and how much of them you used.

Also after a lot of shampoo bar research, I realized that the majority of "CP shampoo bars" are ineffective and can damage the hair. So I gave up and made a syndet shampoo bar.

Back