Quantcast

Want to share my soap experiment

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

fillycate

Reaction score
So, beyond just interest in goat milk soap, I am interested in making kefir soap. I am aware that the probiotics don't survive. I am aware that kefir has a different pH. This is an adventure in experimentation.

My intention is to create a shampoo bar. So this recipe is high in castor oil. The olive oil component is relatively high, and I infused the olive oil with four herbs that I have had good results with in the past on my skin and hair: Rosemary, nettle, burdock, and yellowdock.

The thing I was not expecting was when I put the lye/kefir with the herb/oils, there was a magical color change, I assume is connected to how one or more of these herbs responds to pH change.

I have no idea if the color will stay. I was not expecting the color at all. I hope it stays. It is delightful! 20200720_203527.jpg

The other thing I wasn't expecting was how fast it came to trace. I understand that additives often do this. I am glad I poured when I did, it was almost too late. There will likely be some air pockets.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
If you are wanting answers, you will have to post your recipe, along with the additives and how much of them you used.

Also after a lot of shampoo bar research, I realized that the majority of "CP shampoo bars" are ineffective and can damage the hair. So I gave up and made a syndet shampoo bar.

Megan

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of soap for just an experiment. What happens if it turns out you don't like it?

Becky1024

Reaction score
Yellow dock will fade. Mine goes to pale beige in about a month.

MGM

Reaction score
Very vibrant! Fingers crossed that the colour somehow stays!