Want to make a salt bar soon and need some help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photoshadows said:
All of your soaps look amazing! I've got a question about salt bars and acne-prone skin though. Since coconut oil is not non-comedeogenic and can in fact be acnegenic, is this a problem when using it in the salt bars? I've noticed a lot of people with problem skin seem to use them, but from what I've read, coconut oil is really not good for problem skin.

I would be interested in this too.

Saponified oils do not keep their original properties. Saponified oil of coconut is known to be highly cleansing and stripping of skin oils, soap has an emulsifying effect attracting and trapping grease & dirt within the water used for washing. I doubt that CO soap would cause pore clogging. Having said that I wouldn't advice using harsh cleansing of an acne prone skin, it will stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, what you need is to keep pores clear by exfoliating regularly with something like sugar or salt scrubs but doing it gently trying not to irritate skin, bit of apple cider vinegar with water after cleansing is fantastic to restore pH. This is just my opinion and experience. Sorry got off topic

I've never heard of a salt bar, could someone explain please? And could it be made rebatching? What is the inherent purpose of one, to cut the oil in one's hair? Can it be poured in a pvc pipe mold? And yes, I am a pest, sorry, just curious.

Bubbles Galore said:
No problems with weeping Elly and the soap is smooth and leaves skin soft. You'd imagine that the large salt crystals would be rough on the skin but they're not. I haven't tried it with milk yet. :wink:

Bubbles, my first batch of salt bars I used 1/2 the liquid with coconut milk.
Stinks BAD first couple of days while curing but that went away and the EO scent came thru beautifully. And the salt bar is wonderful and creamy.

KellieT said:
I've never heard of a salt bar, could someone explain please? And could it be made rebatching? What is the inherent purpose of one, to cut the oil in one's hair? Can it be poured in a pvc pipe mold? And yes, I am a pest, sorry, just curious.

Kellie -

Some people call them spa bars. They're a high percentage of coconut oil with a high superfat. They're gently exfoliating and have awesome lather. I've found that the lather is better after an 8 week cure but maybe that's just my recipes. If you search the forum, you'll find discussions about salt bars and the different liquids people add to them.

I think you could put it in a pvc pipe mold but you'd probably have to cram the soap down it. Salt batches can be very thick depending on the percentage of salt you use.

I don't know if you could use a rebatch and turn it into a salt bar. Someone with more experience would need to answer this question.

Thank you very much for the answer Hazel. I wasn't sure and made a test batch on how I thought it might should be and left it overnight before cutting it and my daughter loves it for scrubbing her face. I keep telling her to let it cure and she keeps telling me it isn't soft at all... shrugs, kids. :roll: :)

Salt bars are hard. They get so hard that you really need to cut them within a few hours or they can crumble or be very difficult to cut. I'm amazed you were able to cut it after leaving it set overnight. All of my batches have been like rocks! :lol: Well, except for the one I used whipping cream for the liquid.

Latest posts

Back