Want to make a salt bar soon and need some help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask you two questions?

- Did you add the salt at trace?
- After you added the salt, have you mixed everything with a stick blender or just with a spoon and then poured it into the mold?

Thank you for the lovely words. :oops: They are too easy, really.

I add the salt at medium to thick trace (not too thick) and I only stir it in with a spoon. I ladled it into the moulds making sure that I kept stirring so that each bar would have roughly the same amount of salt in it. If you don't keep stirring, the salt sinks to the bottom. You want the soap thick enough to hold the salt, but not so thick that you can't get it into moulds neatly.

Jenny your soaps are stunning, lovely mold. Do you have any problems with weeping? I thought that using larger salt crystals would cause problems, I've only ever used refined sea salt.

I made a batch 4 weeks ago with 70% CO, 10% Castor 20% OO SF 15% and
1/2 of the liquid subst with Coconut cream, the soap has lots and lots of lather with big bubbles, it might be because I only used 50% salt, it leaves skin silky smooth

No problems with weeping Elly and the soap is smooth and leaves skin soft. You'd imagine that the large salt crystals would be rough on the skin but they're not. I haven't tried it with milk yet. :wink:

Bubbles Galore said:
Thank you for the lovely words. :oops: They are too easy, really.

I add the salt at medium to thick trace (not too thick) and I only stir it in with a spoon. I ladled it into the moulds making sure that I kept stirring so that each bar would have roughly the same amount of salt in it. If you don't keep stirring, the salt sinks to the bottom. You want the soap thick enough to hold the salt, but not so thick that you can't get it into moulds neatly.

Thanks for your reply. I hope I will be as successful as you.
I am a little bit afraid of weeping though ( due to the humidity here ), I think I will add 1-2 tsp of Clay which should prevent weeping ( well at least I have read that somewhere ;) ).

Elly said:
I made a batch 4 weeks ago with 70% CO, 10% Castor 20% OO SF 15% and 1/2 of the liquid subst with Coconut cream, the soap has lots and lots of lather with big bubbles, it might be because I only used 50% salt, it leaves skin silky smooth

Elly, your recipe sounds nice too. :)

Ok, just finished with my salt bars.

My recipe was:

90% Coconut Oil
10% Castor Oil
38% Water

I have used 2 tsp of Clay and 80% of salt.
The soap is superfatted with 19%

I have added the Clay at light trace and then the soap liquid turned light yellow-gray. :roll: I wanted a WHITE soap but thought I need to add the Clay because of the high humidity here... I added the salt at medium trace and then used a spoon to stirr the soap liquid.

Now it is in the silicone mold and most likely gelling. Will update later or tomorrow. :)

Jenny thanks for the information, I am dying to try large salt crystals :wink:

kelleyaynn said:
What mold did you use? It's a great one.

I found that mould on ebay in Australia but I was obviously lucky to get it as I haven't seen them since. 4 cavities to the mould. You have them in the USA but I can't remember the supplier.

Ok I have unmolded my "salty soaps". The color is now nicer than expected. It is not a bright white, I would say more a "snow white" like in the second picture. Yesterday the soap liquid looked more light yellow-gray, so I am happy that its now "snow white". :D

Unfortunately the soaps are a little bit damaged on their sides, dont know why. Maybe I poured the liquid too slowly into the molds. :?

salzseife.jpg

salzseife030.jpg

All of your soaps look amazing! I've got a question about salt bars and acne-prone skin though. Since coconut oil is not non-comedeogenic and can in fact be acnegenic, is this a problem when using it in the salt bars? I've noticed a lot of people with problem skin seem to use them, but from what I've read, coconut oil is really not good for problem skin.

Back