Want to make a salt bar soon and need some help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finchen

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have read a lot about salt bars in the last couple of days. Some of you seem to use 100% of Coconut Oil, some 90% Coconut Oil + 10% Castor Oil or 80% Coconut Oil + 10% each of Castor Oil and Avocado Oil.

Most of the recipes I found were superfatted with 15-20%.

Since I have oily facial skin (with some pimples) should I use 100% Coconut Oil or better add 10% Castor Oil (or any other oil)?

I have the following oils at home:

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Avocado Oil
Castor Oil
Shea Butter
Mango Seed Butter
Jojoba Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
Flaxseed Oil

I would also like to use the salt bar to wash my hair, so I think it would be a good idea to use 10% Castor Oil and 90% Coconut Oil.

Should I use 38% of water or less?

And the last question is: Can I use iodized salt (I cannot buy any other salt here :roll:)?

Thanks in advance. :D

The recipe I use is:

100% coconut oil
20% SF
38% water
equal amounts salt and oil

I've noticed other people use less salt, or sometimes a lower superfat. I like using a bit more as it cuts costs. And soap IS a salt, anyway.

I use fragrance and oxide colorings, too. Haven't noticed a negative effect on my skin, but a good fragrance wakes me up in the morning.

Iodized or non-iodized salt... I haven't noticed a difference in anything but price. You can also use sea salts. No epsom salts.

My friend likes to take the salt bars straight into the shower. I like to grind down a cured bar, then mix in baking soda, and sometimes a little bit more salt for a scrub. I put it in a large shaker container, like a used kosher salt container. The baking soda helps neutralize a bit more of the oil.

Thank you soooo much for your great response. It helps me a lot.
I cant wait to make the soap and start using it (after 4 weeks). :D

I used to always do 100% CO, SF@20% with 100% equal weight salt to oil.
They used to turn out fantastic.
After many many batches of these, cause everyone around me absolutely loves my salt bars I've refined it a bit and now do:
CO90% Castor10% around80% weight in salt.

Thanks for your reply. :D
And which one do you like better, nattynoo?
The one with 100% Coconut Oil and 100% salt or 90% Coconut Oil + 10% Castor and 80% salt?

It seems as if my salt bars need a much longer cure time to be very good. I had about given up on them, but grabbed one out of my soap drawer that I made last summer and now I love it. Lather improved significantly with age. Because of that, I recently made another batch with the intention of giving them out (don't sell) sometime this summer.

Finchen said:
Thank you soooo much for your great response. It helps me a lot.
I cant wait to make the soap and start using it (after 4 weeks). :D
I use 90% coconut oil, 10% olive oil and for half the liquid I use coconut milk. SF at 18%. Swirled a light blue colorant in it and used a eo from brambleberry. It stunk bad for a couple of days while curing but it is now my favorite soap!

You'll like them no matter which way you do them. Just remember the more coconut oil you compromise the more you compromise the bubble. You'll always still get a lotion like lather but I personally like, lotion like lather and bubbles.

Finchen said:
Thank you.

I have one more question: Should the salt bar be gelling or not? :?:

I can't imagine that it would matter. But with the salt the bar is much more rustic looking, not at all creamy, so I wouldn't go to great lengths to prevent gel.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this.
If your not pouring into individual moulds but rather using a log or slab mould then you need to cut it early. As soon as its hard enough to handle. Don't let it go too long or you'll need a band saw to cut that baby...LOL.
Mine is usually ready to cut anywhere from 2-4hours after the pour.
It'll be slightly crumbly not perfectly sliced smooth soap.
Gloves of course!!!

Thanks for your replies. They are all very helpful.

I am going to use individual molds (silicone molds) and thus can avoid cutting. :wink:

Bubbles Galore said:
I'm making some now Finchen. All coconut with 20% lye discount. My son loves these. Unscented. :wink:

Great, I will make some tomorrow, cant wait. :) It would be nice if you could post a picture of your salt bars. :wink:

Not very exciting but here is the photo. They came out of moulds after 3 hours. :wink:

You can see the size of the salt crystals in the bottom photo.

100_9013.jpg

100_9006.jpg

:shock: OMG, they are absolutely beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful, stunning, I am speechless! :shock:

Back