Want to increase richness in a recipe I like...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGoats

Reaction score
I would like to increase the rich, creaminess and lasting ability of lather in the following recipe...but I don't want to change it too much because I really like the cleansing power and bar hardness of this recipe.

Any tips?

8.4oz / 23.8% Calendula Infused Olive Oil
7.2oz / 20.4% Coconut Oil
6oz / 17.0% Pastured Lard
.8oz / 2.3% Castor Oil
1.6oz / 4.5% Almond Oil

3.1oz / 8.7% Lye
7.5oz / 21.3% Goats Milk

Done cold process.

Thanks in advance!

Ooops! Title is supposed to be "richness" :D

[Fixed it- IrishLass]

Your percentages do not add up to 100%. Your NaOH and milk should not be part of the 100%.

But, you need to up your lard. also the almond oil and castor oil are not present at high enough amounts to make much difference. Dump the almond, raise the castor to 5%, and put the rest to 100% in lard.

Kchaystack...looked at the wrong column of %...wow it's a bad day for me!

Okay. Right %'s are:
Olive Oil: 35%
Coconut: 30%
Lard: 25%
Castor: 3.3%
Almond: 6.7%

SO sorry about that :lol:

dixiedragon...thick, creamy, soft, luscious. Makes you want to just keep using it! My base recipe is to 'cut and dried' - cleans, lasts a long time, and that's it. It's not as luxurious as I want it to be.

I would knock 10% off the coconut (30% is really high), and add it to the lard. I would also still drop the almond, up the castor to 5% and put the remainder into the lard.

Yep, this sounds good to me. More lard will make the bar harder and provide more creaminess while more castor will increase the bubbles and how long they last.

If you want the ultimate in thick, creamy lather, try a salt bar. 80% coconut, 20% your favorite liquid oil, I like olive best, 20% super fat and 30-50% fine salt.

So:
35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut
35% Lard
5% Castor
5% Almond

Would it be better to switch out the Almond for Avocado or just lower the Almond more and put the extra % to Lard?

I have never had any success with salt bars, but it is still on my 'to do' list! Will note that down, Obsidian :)

When you are ready, ask for advice. We can help you trouble shoot any issues you had with the salt bars. They are very easy but I've found less is more with them. One color, one scent, individual molds, plain canning salt. No need to get fancy until you are comfortable with the process since it is a bit different from regular CP.

So:
35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut
35% Lard
5% Castor
5% Almond

Would it be better to switch out the Almond for Avocado or just lower the Almond more and put the extra % to Lard?

I love Almond oil. In fact when I get comments on my soap like "this is the best of them all" it's always Almond oil.
I use it at 30% so I definitely wouldn't get rid of it out of your recipe.
I also like the 5% castor oil and find that makes a difference.

I use a maximum of 10% coconut oil in some of my soaps.
Personally I would up the Almond and reduce the CO and maybe up the OO a tiny bit and reduce the lard to 30% max.

You can substitute Avocado for Almond. Both are great. Avocado has great label appeal but in blind tests (of my friends and family!!) Almond is the best.

Last edited:
So:
35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut
35% Lard
5% Castor
5% Almond

Cut the CO to 15%.
Cut the Almond altogether.
Cut the OO to 20%.
Put all the rest in lard.
Add 2 teaspoons sugar PPO.
Use 5% KOH in place of some of the NaOH. (You would not believe the lather difference!)

I sometimes use cow's cream as about half of my liquid. It makes a creamier and bubblier bar. You can use frozen aloe juice for the other half of the liquid and have a really nice bar.

I would stick with 30% CO (I have hard water but if you have soft water you could lower it) OO feels great on the skin but inhibits lather - I'd drop it by 5% and make up for it with lard or cocoa butter or shea. I haven't used almond oil so I can't advise on that. It is neat to see all the different suggestions and wonderful that
we can make soaps that perfectly suit our individual preferances. Hope you discover your perfect recipe!

I REALLY like Rice bran oil.
It's one of my favourites.

In your recipe, I would drop CO and add some RBO if you can get any. Add more lard, butters, you'll get a lovely bar.

I also replaced most of my OO with RBO. My skin is weird, I find OO to be a bit drying. I'm not even using it in facial soaps anymore.

Almond is another favourite. I do use it in small % (5-15) because of the price, but I can definitely feel when it's not in the recipe.

Back