Want to increase hardness.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why hasn’t one mentioned salt?
Salt contributes to bar hardness, but I believe Zing wants longevity without compromising bubbles. Salt kills lather more than it contributes to longevity. If the goal was to unmold sooner or get more crisp lines from a mold, a little salt would help more than butters. For longevity, butters help more than salt.

Zing are you asking about increasing how hard the bar is or how long it lasts? The higher the coconut you use the more soluble your bar will be....

Switch out olive with another soft oil that's higher in stearic and palmitic maybe? I use RBO personally. Your avocado has em enough though, for a soft oil.

I don't use palm but the amount you have is what I usually use cocoa and shea (combined to get that %). I've gone higher too but the downside is a longerish cure otherwise you won't like the lather if you're used to this one.

@Zing What about trying this. It ups your longevity number by 5 points without sacrificing the other properties you like much at all. Add some sugar to help even more with the bubbles.
BDC8632D-AC01-4E22-A85C-78F10DC5BEAD.png

Last edited:
Zing are you asking about increasing how hard the bar is or how long it lasts? The higher the coconut you use the more soluble your bar will be....
I want the bar to be harder. It gets soft despite my soap saver pads.
@Zing What about trying this. It ups your longevity number by 5 points without sacrificing the other properties you like much at all. Add some sugar to help even more with the bubbles.
You are brilliant! Thank you, so much testing to do....

Latest posts

Back