Walmart recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selah925

Reaction score
I just tried the Walmart recipe, by Soapmaker man (I think). My question is about smell. It stinks! It smells just like tons of crisco being fried up in a southern restaurant! I know that I used it as a base oil, but will the smell go away after curing? Or is this a recipe you only use when adding very strong Essential oils to?

If it doesn't go away, what can I do about the smell?

Thanks!

Are you sure it is the walmart recipe? I use that recipe quite a bit and have no problems with smell.

Sonja

This is the one I used:

Paul's Wal-Mart Soap Recipe

30% Coconut Oil
25% Crisco
23% Olive Oil (lightest they have)
10% Canola Oil
7% Safflower Oil
5% Castor Oil

I added dried ground lavender and a small amount of jojoba oil, but that was the only difference. I added at trace.

Maybe my nose is just ultra sensitive being 35 weeks pregnant! :D

Well....unless you were sold an oil that's borderline rancid, you might just be smelling soap in its natural form. Mine all have a bit of that fatty smell. :)

How do you define a rancid smell?

Does crisco go bad? I think that is the strongest smell I am getting.

Crisco does have an odor in my soaps that are unscented. It's kinda fatty and heavy....like fresh hot deep fryer grease.

Rancid Crisco smells worse....like the french fries you get from a greasy spoon restaurant that never changes their grease.

Sorry to be gross, but that's what it smells like to me.

I checked my recipe I used lard instead of Crisco. Maybe that made a difference :?:

Sonja

Martin said:
I checked my recipe I used lard instead of Crisco. Maybe that made a difference :?:

Sonja

I made some with a lard that was kind of strong when I open the container (from a small town grocery-- probably been there for years--lol). Very strong fishy smell in the soap-- should have kept it for catfish bait. I bet it would have worked. Now I only buy the small 1 lb lard bars from walmart. To me its worth the 97 cents if its bad I can toss it without feeling to bad.

I bet it was the lard-- Not experenced in soap making yet but thats my take.

I think I now decided that the Crisco was bad after comparing the Crisco that I used to a new, fresh container.

Assuming it was bad, does that ruin the soap? Or does it just smell funny? Should I throw it out?

Thanks!

when i got the fishy smell I rebatched into paticholi (sp?) and orange. My friend said she could not smell it but I still could. Then after she smeeled some of the fishy soap she could pick it out in the rebatch. I just thru it away. I didn't want to take the chance that if I used it for laundry that my clothes would smell like that.

but try rebatching. If you still don't like it then toss it.

Back