Walmart GV Shortening.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this came back to life, I'll chime in and say that the "Walmart shortening, tallow, palm" option in SoapCalc works just fine for the shortening that does not list palm oil.

It made for a lovely bar of soap using the following recipe:
35% Walmart GV Shortening
35% olive oil
15% cocoa butter
15% coconut oil
2% sf

The bar lasts FOREVER. Very cream lather. You could easily swap out the cocoa butter for something else to lower the cost. And increase the coconut oil--it does take some effort to work up the lather.

I've been using Walmart GV shortening for some time. Whenever I got low, I just bought more. I hadn't checked the ingredients in ages. So, I went and checked. All that I have on hand is the soy bean variety. I don't know when I started but, I've been using it with my recipes without knowing it and I haven't seen any difference. So Soap Friends must be pretty close. So, I don't see any reason to quit using it.

Since this came back to life, I'll chime in and say that the "Walmart shortening, tallow, palm" option in SoapCalc works just fine for the shortening that does not list palm oil.

It made for a lovely bar of soap using the following recipe:
35% Walmart GV Shortening
35% olive oil
15% cocoa butter
15% coconut oil
2% sf

The bar lasts FOREVER. Very cream lather. You could easily swap out the cocoa butter for something else to lower the cost. And increase the coconut oil--it does take some effort to work up the lather.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

I've been using Walmart GV shortening for some time. Whenever I got low, I just bought more. I hadn't checked the ingredients in ages. So, I went and checked. All that I have on hand is the soy bean variety. I don't know when I started but, I've been using it with my recipes without knowing it and I haven't seen any difference. So Soap Friends must be pretty close. So, I don't see any reason to quit using it.
Thank you! This is good to know.

Latest posts

Back