Wall pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was talking with Lionprincess about these pours as we've seen a few and they are intriguing, so I tried one out. Actually, I made two and recorded them both. This one I did in a more standard way and the other one is more randomly poured but the second one is currently gelling. Not all the bars came out perfectly so these are the best ones. I didn't pour as evenly throughout but I'm still happy with them although they could stand a bit more color distinction. I'll stick the videos on the SMFChallenge channel when I have them processed but my computer is stupid slow. Hopefully they will be up tomorrow night.

Blast it, it posted sideways. Sorry.

image.jpg

Last edited:
"...I'll stick the videos on the SMFChallenge channel..."

On Youtube or ??? I'd love to see this video and browse others, but I'm a wee bit lost about where to look.... :(

I love love love the gentle ethereal quality those delicate colors bring to the soap. There's such a natural looking flow with the wall pour too - I can't wait to see the video!

I've soaped almost all of the swirl techniques out there and found I don't care for look of highly manipulated soap - like peacock swirl but I'm bored with ITP and drop swirls, etc and was just going to work on perfecting colors in single color bars, but this wall pour has me intrigued and I can't wait to try again.

But again - I think that soap is utterly gorgeous!

Oooh, thanks, KC! Duly bookmarked for future enjoyment!!!!

What, me do swirly soap? I'm trying, I'm trying! :)

Okay, I was watching some soap p*rn recently and in one video, the soaper poured her soap like a faux funnel swirl, except the batter was poured onto the sides of the mold and gradually oozed its way into the center of the mold as more and more soap was poured along the wall. It was really cool to watch. Maybe this is the technique Newbie has tried???

Arrgh. I can't find the video!

Oh, wait! It's our own TVivian (aka "Soapish" on Youtube). Here ya go: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VID2Sp77Fbo[/ame] The "pour soap batter on the wall of the mold" gets started strongly about 1:50 into the video.

Last edited:
Yes, in my swirl tutorial video (both are named "large" for reasons unclear to me, but I'm a Luddite) I talk about using the wall to pour down to get the colors to line up without mixing. I'm sure many people have been doing that for a long time so I claim no special knowledge of a secret technique or anything. I'm messier that TViv, though.

Wall pours are used pretty literally- you pour your batter down the wall of the mold to get patterns and to get one color to lie on top of the other, instead of dropping though (drop swirl) or mixing in with the soap already there. I have to use my son's computer to upload the videos after I get the dogs out.

I like my random pour better than the standard one and will post pics after I go to the dog park.

At around 9 minutes, I talk about using the walls to pour soap down and you can see what I mean. It is indeed very literal.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytRNXh7-Xk[/ame]

We talked about soaps like these on the browsing thread. I think about 4 soaps made this way have been posted and people talked about them a lot.

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 8.40.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments on the soaps! I was pretty happy with the colors overall. It was made with about 1/2 Mantis green and 1/2 dazzling blue from Nurture. The darkest color has a bit of AC added, one is straight up and the others were lightened with progressively more zirconium something (very sparkly white mica) from TKB.

Couldn't load up to you tube so I put it on my FB page. Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/helka.finn/videos/830833577014360/?pnref=story

Sorry about all the um's but I should know better than to try to talk while I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to pour. I am more of a slapdash soaper so I probably would have gotten more consistent bars if I had been more deliberate in my pouring so a word to the wise, take more time if you want better lines. I stuck the greeny one and the random one together for convenience.

A pic of some of the random pour bars:

IMG_6745.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments on the soaps! I was pretty happy with the colors overall. It was made with about 1/2 Mantis green and 1/2 dazzling blue from Nurture. The darkest color has a bit of AC added, one is straight up and the others were lightened with progressively more zirconium something (very sparkly white mica) from TKB.

Couldn't load up to you tube so I put it on my FB page. Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/helka.finn/videos/830833577014360/?pnref=story

Sorry about all the um's but I should know better than to try to talk while I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to pour. I am more of a slapdash soaper so I probably would have gotten more consistent bars if I had been more deliberate in my pouring so a word to the wise, take more time if you want better lines. I stuck the greeny one and the random one together for convenience.

A pic of some of the random pour bars:
Absolutely Spectacular. Thankyou for the FB link

Cool video, Newbie! Thanks for sharing!!!!

I appreciate not having to sit through the obligatory stick blending bits, and I also enjoyed seeing you pour the two different soaps with the same general technique both in one video. Knowing in advance how the cut soaps look from pics in this thread, it was cool to see how the design was created -- how the greeny/blue-y soap is so softly watercolor-ish due to small color differences and how the reddish-brownish soap is bolder by using a wider range of colors.

I also didn't hear any "ums" at all -- you did a nice job of narrating.

That's was a great video! Thanks for sharing! I'm impressed at how well you can talk and make soap. I also like that you started right in with the pouring. I always struggle in deciding how much of the "extras" I need to keep in my videos. I want to keep enough that people know what's going on, but not so much that it gets boring. Very nicely done!

I know, about what to put in and not. This one was strictly about the pattern of the pour so I figured blending and coloring are not obligatory. For other demonstrations, more is helpful but I will say that I have rarely seen SB'ing as a necessity, except to show what emulsion and light trace look like in real time. Otherwise, for most soap making videos, I would love to see how thick the batter is, then the pour and the technique/swirl and cut pics. IT's also hard to know what angle makes the most sense. Imagine being a director if filming making a soap leads to so many questions!

Back