Votives and melts (or tarts)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
Hi there - I'm pretty new to candle making - and just want to start doing some votives and tarts for own use and maybe a few for friends. Some years back I did make tarts or melts - whatever we call them these days. I don't recall what I used for wax. Although I do have some old soy wax on hand. Last week I ordered a slab of IGI 4625. This should be good for both applications I believe. (?) Manufacturer says up to 6% fragrance can be added. I guess we all pretty much want maximum scent impact. Are melts typically made with a higher % of fragrance? Then would I want a wax that can carry a heavier scent load for melts?

... AND ...since IGI 4625 is a harder, higher melt point wax - can/should I modify it somehow to use in a small container, if I want to try that? What would I do to modify it? Thanks to all!

Last edited:
IGI 4625 is a paraffin blend pillar wax. It should be okay for a votive, but I wouldn't put it in any other type of container. Even if you mix a lower melt point wax to it, it will still shrink a lot and burn too hot to be put into a container.

I never go above 6% in any application I make. If the wax I'm using needs more than that to carry the scent I look for a different wax.
For my melts I use a 50/50 blend of IGI 4625 and IGI 4794 (a paraffin blend votive wax) and 6% is perfect for most scents. On the stronger/heavier scents I even drop that down to about 4% with no problems.

thanks for the tips jcandleattic - yes, I read up on the IGI 4625 and it was pegged as a pillar-votive- tart wax on every site I found it on - I did find the the 4794 also and maybe try that one too.

That was my thought about using the pillar blend in a container ....wondered if it would burn too hot, thanks!

Latest posts

Back