Quantcast

Void in Soy Candle

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

crazyk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made my first Soy candles today.

I made 4 x 65 gram so they are little ones in bulb glassware.

I'm using Golden Brands 464 with an additive.

What I have found after 1 hour is that near the wick the candle has formed a void / hole that goes down into the candle. it looks deep but not 100% sure.

I poured them into the mould at about 75deg.

Any Ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

carebear

Reaction score
it's not that there is a problem - it's the nature of wax that it shrinks as it cools. You can try pouring cooler, but you will probably still have them. After your candle forms a "skin", open it up by making a few holes with a skewer or the like and keep them open. Then do a "repour" to fill in the holes. For the repour use wax a few degrees hotter than your initial pour, and fill just to the top of the candle.

Good luck.

crazyk

Reaction score
Hi Carebare,

Thanks for that. One thing I tried was to pour at slightly cooler temp and then when it started to skin over, get a blowtorch and just remelt the surface.

I did this several times and they truned out ok, except my green ones developed a whitish colour so I just did the same thing again.

BDoodles

Reaction score
What carebear suggested and I also make sure I prime my wicks, it seems to help with that some.

carebear

Reaction score
crazyk said:
Hi Carebare,

Thanks for that. One thing I tried was to pour at slightly cooler temp and then when it started to skin over, get a blowtorch and just remelt the surface.

I did this several times and they truned out ok, except my green ones developed a whitish colour so I just did the same thing again.
I would guess you mean the wax "frosted" (like the bloom on chocolate) which is, unfortunately, one of the downsides of soy wax. Happens from temperature changes.

crazyk

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

What I've actually done is gone to white candles. It's heaps easier and I changed my wax and don't have any voids unless I pour at too high a temp.

What I now do is leave it in my container until it cools and just looks like little hairs forming in it, then I pour. They turn out great.

Cheers, :p