Vitamin E

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBarnett

Reaction score
Soaper's choice has "Tocopherols - Natural Vit E - T-50" which I guess is natural vitamin E. Can this be used in soap in place of say Essential Depots vitamin E oil? How much would you use for a 4 pound batch of CPOP soap?

Thanks
Robert

Are you using it as an antioxidant to increase the shelf life of the soap? If so, it's not effective. You're far better off using rosemary oleoresin (ROE).

If you're using it for other reasons, yes, it should be fine. Vitamin E is an alternative name for the group of chemicals called tocopherols.

I have to disagree with Deanna. I always add a little Vit E to my soap and haven't had a problem with DOS for years. As to your question, yes you can use it in place of Essential Depot's Vit E. I would use maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. for 4 lbs of soap. I use Vit E in my lotions and creams, also.

I want it for the skin benefits. $40 a pound seems like it is much cheaper than Essential Depots.
Thank everyone,

Robert

I have to disagree with Deanna. I always add a little Vit E to my soap and haven't had a problem with DOS for years. As to your question, yes you can use it in place of Essential Depot's Vit E. I would use maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. for 4 lbs of soap. I use Vit E in my lotions and creams, also.

I'm sure Deanna was referring to the tests performed by Kevin Dunn with various antioxidants and chelators. There are a number of effective ones and synergistic combinations, but Vitamin E was a big zero in those experiments.

http://cavemanchemistry.com/DreadedOrangeSpot-Dunn.pdf

It understandable if you prefer to go with your experience, but without controls it's possible there are other explanations for why you haven't gotten DOS. If you want to use an antioxidant, ROE is your best bet on the natural side because it's universally accepted as effective. I've seen 2 separate experiments to that effect.

Latest posts

Back