Vitamin E?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchad21ut

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if you could buy Vitamin E for cold process soaps locally at any health food stores or pharmacies, or drug stores like GNC that anyone knows of..
or is it better to buy that kind of stuff online knowing that it is the right stuff for soaps, and i'm not cracking open gelcaps for nothing.. lol

You will pay 10x as much when you buy gel caps. That is the main difference.

Chay said:
You can buy Vit E at almost any grocery or drug store.
Do you mean liquid form or the gel caps? I've looked for vit. E in liquid form in a few different groceries, drug stores, etc. and haven't had any luck. The only thing I ever found was at Big Lots (where I work) and it is mixed with mineral oil I believe.

I use T-50 in my oils as an antioxidant to prevent rancidity. It is different than the man made vitamin E in gel caps. There are several places to buy T-50, natural vitamin E, but Soapers Choice is the best and least expensive place. Here is a link;

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaper ... 0&cart_id=

Tocopherols, Natural T-50 Vit. E ($30 per pound)
1 lb

This is cut from Camden-Grey site, another source for T-50;

Sold by weight. T-50 all natural vitamin E. With today’s concerns over the safety of synthetic ingredients, why risk your product’s success by using synthetic antioxidants? There are two classes of natural Vitamin E: tocopherols and tocotrienols. We offer you all natural low d-alpha mixed tocopherols or T-50. Tocopherols: A term used to describe the collection of all the tocopherols in Vitamin E that occur naturally in food. There are 4 types of tocopherols: d-alpha, d-beta, d-gamma and d-delta. Low d-alpha mixed tocopherols are often used to slow the onset of rancidity in fats & oils. Natural oxidants are isolated from vegetable oils and concentrated to contain a mixture of d-alpha (commonly known as Vitamin E), d-beta, d-gamma and d-delta tocopherols. T-50 is all natural, low d-alpha mixed tocopherols, has 500 mg total tocopherols, and is a brownish-red, clear, viscous oil (color may differ slightly from batch to batch, we have no control over this). When you compare prices between the gel caps commonly sold in drugstores vs. the Tocopherols pound per pound, Tocopherols are a lot less expensive to use, not to mention that you will be using all natural Vitamin E and not synthetic. At proper usage levels T-50 doesn’t contribute odor, taste or color to the end product. Tocopherols are nature’s perfect antioxidant. The optimal level of tocopherols in finished products will range from 0.01% to 0.2% of the fat or oil content. Because antioxidants can only prevent oxidation, not reverse it, it is important to add the antioxidant as early in the process as possible. Tocopherols also slows the onset of rancidity in fats & oils in your soaps & lotions. If you superfat your soaps, then Vitamin E is a must so that your soaps won’t develop a rancid scent in a few months. Tocopherols also help to protect the most vulnerable citrus essential oils. Because antioxidants can only prevent oxidation, not reverse it, it is important to add the antioxidant as early in the process as possible (by adding to oils). Recommended usage: 4 drops per one pound of oils in a recipe. Certified “Circle U” Kosher and Halal. The US FDA has generally recognized tocopherols as safe (GRAS) as a nutrient and as a preservative. It’s insoluble in water. Constituents of our T50 mixture: 50/50 natural mixed tocopherols & partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, mainly soybean oil. Do not refrigerate, store in cool place.

I've followed Paul's lead with Tocoperol T-50.

It's a much better oil than what you get at any grocery store.

jadiebugs1 said:
Chay said:
You can buy Vit E at almost any grocery or drug store.
Do you mean liquid form or the gel caps? I've looked for vit. E in liquid form in a few different groceries, drug stores, etc. and haven't had any luck. The only thing I ever found was at Big Lots (where I work) and it is mixed with mineral oil I believe.
I have bought it different times in liquid form at CVS and Kroger. I have never purchased gel caps before, to much hassle.

mandolyn said:
Uh oh! I'm not supposed to refrigerate the T-50? Have I ruined it? :cry:

I don't think so Katie. I do like using the good stuff to help prevent rancidity in oils prone to go rancid faster than others.

Soapmaker Man said:
mandolyn said:
Uh oh! I'm not supposed to refrigerate the T-50? Have I ruined it? :cry:

I don't think so Katie. I do like using the good stuff to help prevent rancidity in oils prone to go rancid faster than others.

Whew! It's out of the fridge now. :D

So at what point do you add the Vitamin E? Did I miss that? Is it best to add at trace?

Also, 4 drops per pound of oils? That doesn't seem like much.

Back