vitamin D additive

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulrurunaturals

Reaction score
anyone have any experience with vitamin D as additive in soap making and wether it would be better to hot process or cold process.

I'm not sure how you plan on sourcing Vitamin D, but if t'were me, since most milks are fortified with Vitamin D, I'd make milk soap using powdered milk -- added to warm oils before adding the lye solution. I would do CP to soap as cool as possible. I suppose you could also prick a capsule or two of D3 into the batch.

Thats a really odd additive, did they say why they want it in soap? I would either use a powder mixed into a little water so its not lumpy or the gel caps pricked and squeezed into the oils. I'd do CP, I don't think a little vit D will be a issue.

Perhaps they have the thought that the vitamin D soap on their skin will help to lower cholesterol.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/vitamin-d-relationship#vitamin-d-and-cholesterol
Does Vitamin D Lower Cholesterol?
There is conflicting information when it comes to the link between cholesterol and vitamin D. Population studies show that people with lower vitamin D levels are more likely to have high cholesterol, although this does not prove a “cause and effect” relationship.

One 2012 study found that vitamin D supplements have no cholesterol-lowering effects, at least in the short term. In fact, the researchers found that the supplements were actually associated with an increase in LDL.

However, 2014 research found that taking calcium and vitamin D supplements together improved cholesterol levels in postmenopausal overweight or obese women.

The verdict, according to the National Institutes of Health, is that there is insufficient evidence to determine any relationship between your vitamin D intake and your cholesterol levels. But with the host of benefits that vitamin D provides to those that use it, there is still no deterrent in using vitamin D as part of your healthy lifestyle.

Last edited:
I add antioxidant Vitamin E (1,000 IU) ppo to every batch. I feel it adds conditioning as well as longer shelf life. When it comes to Vitamin D, I think the sky's the limit, not knowing what purpose it serves in the soap. :smallshrug:

I add antioxidant Vitamin E (1,000 IU) ppo to every batch. I feel it adds conditioning as well as longer shelf life. When it comes to Vitamin D, I think the sky's the limit, not knowing what purpose it serves in the soap. :smallshrug:
I really don't see a point to adding it. If someone wants the benefit of vitamin D, they can get from some sun or they can take a D3 supplement. Adding it to a product that won't even stay on your skin for more than 5 minutes is pointless and an expensive waste of a much needed vitamin. Let's not forget- chemical changes are happening in that soap to who knows if the vitamin will be inactivated.

Latest posts

Back