Vit E in lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopalongkat

Reaction score
I have a lip balm recipe that calls for "5 drops of 100% Pure Vitamin E Oil" and that whole batch makes 10 tubes.

So I just bout some Nature's Gate Vitamin E Acetate Skin Oil 32,000 I.U. Now it does say "do not use on face or eye area; for external use only". That should answer my question right there, I guess but I'm gonna ask it anyway....because it's such a small amount, can I use this in the lip balm? If not, what kind of Vit E oil are you supposed to use? Thanks for the help!!

I use vitamin E in my balms all the time. I use the vitamin E T-50 from LotionCrafters, and I use it anywhere from .25% - .5%. The T-50 refers to it being a 50% active blend of natural mixed tocopherols and the MSDS says it can be used in lip balms and can also be listed as 'natural vitamin E' on one's labels.

For what it's worth, the .25% amount of it that I use in my lip balms equals out to being 3 drops per every 6 balms that I make (I used my jeweler's scale to figure out the drop amount).

Hmmm..I wonder why your Nature's Gate brand says to not use it on the face. Are there other ingredients in it?

IrishLass :)

Edited to add that it's the 'Fact Sheet' (as opposed to the actual MSDS ) that specifies that it can be used in lip balm and can be labeled as 'natural vitamin E).

Last edited:
Nope...

Ingredients: Tocopheryl Acetate

I got it at whole foods. I really wanted to use something I could find in store/locally instead of paying shipping and then waiting for it. Any other ideas??

I just read the MSDS for vitamin D-alpha tocopheryl acetate, and this is what it says (copied/pasted from here: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925276 :

Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects: Skin: It may cause skin irritation although it is considered to be non-irritating to skin. Eyes:
It may cause eye irritation although it is considered to be non-irritating. Inhalation: It may cause respiratory tract irritation. It
considered to be non-toxic and a low hazard for usual industrial handling Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal tract irritation.
It is considered have low toxicity and to be low hazard for usual industrial handling. Chronic Potential Health Effects: Ingestion:

Repeated or prolonged ingestion may affect liver and blood

Notice that it keeps repeating "it may, although it is considered to be non-irritating". I could be wrong, but to me, that reads as saying something along the lines of, "Use at your own discretion and discontinue if irritation develops". Nature's Gate might probably be labeling it the way they do because they are playing it safe in order to avoid any potential lawsuits. At least that's my take on it.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back