Viscosity of liquid soap made with shreds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ten

Reaction score
Hi there and thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

I'm playing around with making liquid soap with olive oil soap shreds. Basically I'm adding water to the shreds and using an immersion blender to mix it up.

I like how it comes out when I first make it, but after it sits a while it gets sort of 'stringy and snotty'. Sorry about that...it's the best description.

Is there anything I can add (without diluting it with more water) to eliminate the 'stringy/snotty'? I really love the soap in the shower, but the consistency is a little weird.

Thank you!

Nope, there is nothing you can do to make it not snotty. This will always happen when you use CP soap to try and make liquid. Thrue liquid soap needs to be made from scratch with KOH and oils.

Agreed. If you want liquid soap, you need to get some KOH, do some additional research and [we strongly suggest that you] have some experience making soap, especially HP soap (it's helpful).

It makes me nuts because there are a BILLION posts on the intarwebs about "how to make cheap and easy liquid soap" using bar soap and water and it never ever ever works. So why does it propagate? Arent any of these bloggers TESTING this before they post it?

/rant

It makes me nuts because there are a BILLION posts on the intarwebs about "how to make cheap and easy liquid soap" using bar soap and water and it never ever ever works. So why does it propagate? Arent any of these bloggers TESTING this before they post it?

/rant

You could always make one. My blogs are my memories and timelines.

Why would a blog by Seawolfe slow down the tide of misinformation in "mommy blogger" land?

David Fisher already publishes an excellent, well researched blog about soap and candles at About.com for years. His tutorials are written to appeal to people who want to be competent soapers and chandlers -- and I don't see his tutorials slowing down the silliness coming from the mommy bloggers either.

The mommy bloggers have a different audience -- crafty people who want to make cute things fast, typically without much theory or math and usually with ingredients from the kitchen pantry. These folks don't want to know a lot of detail or go to a lot of effort ... they want to do something that is quick and easy. I think the blog writers themselves end up pretty much in that mindset too -- let's do what it takes to attract and hold the crafty audience, and don't go too much in-depth with anything.

I know a few of these crafty dilettantes will start becoming real soapers once they get a taste of what soaping is all about. They, like Ten, will end up here at SMF or at David Fisher's blog or other places with better information. Most, however, will try the "liquid soap from grated bar soap" recipes or the "lotion without preservative or real emulsifier" or the "baby wipes made with paper towels and without preservative", and get disgusted at the results, and move on to the next quick crafty craze of the day.

David Fischer would hold their attention if he took a bazzilion pics with the background blurry and used a shabby-chic table setting in weathered teal ...

Yeah, FB is another place that makes me grind my teeth fairly often. I will speak up when someone says something totally unsafe or completely off base, but I let most of the silly stuff float right on by.

Seawolfe ... gosh, weathered teal ... sure you aren't a mommy blogger in disguise? I have some weathered barn boards I could contribute to the cause! Oh, right, forgot ... soaper geeks are barred from the mommy blogger club. We're both safe! :mrgreen:

Another Newbie here. I tried that as well, Making a liquid soap from soap shreds and water. As a new soaper wanting to try new things & not knowing what's correct & what's not. At the particular website in which I found this, her intent was not to produce a bathing liquid soap. Her intent was to produce an inexpensive liquid castile soap for cleaning purposes only. The first liquid was the concentrated liquid (the snotty stuff) & it was supposed to get thicker to form a sort of paste. ( Mine didn't do that, I figured out it was too warm where I had it, I needed to put it in a cooler place). Then the concentrated paste (3-4 Tbs) add to warm water in empty spray bottle with essential oils for their disinfectant properties. Spray and clean. This is not my take on the topic, just my experience with the "mommy bloggers" as it has been so eloquently put or in my case, the "survival bloggers".

Another Newbie here. I tried that as well, Making a liquid soap from soap shreds and water. As a new soaper wanting to try new things & not knowing what's correct & what's not. At the particular website in which I found this, her intent was not to produce a bathing liquid soap. Her intent was to produce an inexpensive liquid castile soap for cleaning purposes only. The first liquid was the concentrated liquid (the snotty stuff) & it was supposed to get thicker to form a sort of paste. ( Mine didn't do that, I figured out it was too warm where I had it, I needed to put it in a cooler place). Then the concentrated paste (3-4 Tbs) add to warm water in empty spray bottle with essential oils for their disinfectant properties. Spray and clean. This is not my take on the topic, just my experience with the "mommy bloggers" as it has been so eloquently put or in my case, the "survival bloggers".

That's fine and all but you can still get a concentrated paste via liquid soapmaking. Actually, the paste is the liquid soap before you dilute it. All anyone would have to do is measure exactly what it is they want to use and to use at least double the weight of the soap paste worth of hot water. Once diluted, add a few drops of EO and you're good. It cleans a lot better than a shredded bar concoction would (i've tried it two and went back to Mr Clean until I started soapmaking).

Whoo hoo! BusyHands -- post pics so we can all admire and congratulate you -- or it isn't real! :)

Latest posts

Back