Vinegar Usage_SMF Calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure most of you know by now I have posted numerous times about this wonderful calculator having a bit of an issue when it comes to entering Vinegar in the calculator. Once more I will try mentioning this and hopefully, it can be addressed.

Today in-between making soap I played with the calculator testing the vinegar and Liquid required settings. The calculator Does Not deduct the Vinegar amount entered in from the Required Liquid even if you turn on the Liquid Discount button. So if you are using less than full water replacement please manually deduct the vinegar from your Liquid Requirement. For example, I use 9 oz vinegar in my batch and 17 oz liquid is required with 8.3 oz Lye. If I follow the printout I would use 9 oz vinegar and 17 oz liquid which would be 8.3 oz too much liquid.

The other error is the total batch weight is incorrect when the vinegar weight is not deducted. I also do not like that it adds more liquid when it configures the extra lye needed, which is such a small amount it does not really need extra liquid added in. So if you decide to use vinegar please watch the numbers. I promise not to bring this up again.

The easiest way I have found to verify water needed when adding vinegar is to put it into the calculator last. After adding all oils, additives etc., make note of the water needed. Then add the vinegar. Ignore the change to the liquid needed. Use the liquid needed that you noted earlier for the total amount.

I thought @Angie was aware of this, but I haven't read any followup about whether the calc can be updated to solve this problem.

Hopefully this new thread (and my shout-out to Angie) will keep the ball rolling.

Two things. 1. It was reported, and if there is a problem putting it in the Support forum gets it more attention.
2. The Calculator has a forum and these things could be put there for the Admin there to see and fix.

I have reported this thread to the SMFriend Calculator admin so she can address this issue.

Hello cmzaha,
one of our planned features is automatically considering the water content of added ingredients and taking down the liquid discount button , but for now i'm concerned about the point you mentioned
even if you turn on the Liquid Discount button.
testing with the recipe you created there "liquid discount test" with 100g vinegar
when liquid discount button unchecked
results are
2020-03-14_3-35-01.png

and when the button is checked
upload_2020-3-14_3-37-7.png

so it is definitely working
please let me know if I'm missing something

Thanks you!

@SoapmakingFriend Depending on which screen I print from for a test recipe with vinegar, I get different formats. The first version, which I printed from the recipe “view” screen, does not include the “excluding vinegar” annotation that is included when the recipe is printed from the “edit” screen (version 2). In my opinion, the second one is the helpful one. Without the annotation to remind me, I might further discount the liquid if I was using the first version. #3 is the recipe without vinegar for comparison. It was printed from the edit screen.

9C772B12-5FBA-4749-A4F4-CF3FE880886B.png E7CA7C71-D085-4135-A9B4-1DDD39B82E73.png C4E849E5-3C58-4354-86E4-F564BE1EE0AD.png

Sorry I did not respond sooner. I went back the Calculator this morning and created a new recipe. I did one recipe using vinegar listing 9 oz in the Special Additive Box leaving the liquid discount off. I did another New Recipe adding in 9 oz Vinegar in the Special Additive Box but turning On the Liquid Discount, this time the result Did deduct the 9 oz from the Required Liquid. I also saved the recipe closed out the calculator reopened the calculator and opened the recipe I just saved. When I deleted the vinegar usage updated the recipe left the calculator open. After breakfast, I refreshed the calculator did another edit of adding in the 9 oz vinegar turning on the Liquid Discount option and it Did Subtract by 9 oz vinegar from the Required Liquid. So I am now finding it does work properly from this point forward. :dance:

The only time I find the calculator not subtracting the Liquid Discount now is if you pull up a previously saved received from when the function did not work, it still will not work. Which is okay for me because I know this and most folks probably do not pull up an old recipe and just change an ingredient or two and save under another name, as I do.

Many thanks to everyone for all the hard work in this great calculator. It is a winner. :nodding:

@cmzaha I frequently pull up recipes, tweak them a little bit and rename them, so thanks for making the point about old recipes not updating. It might be a more common approach for newbies who are still searching for the perfect recipe.

@SoapmakingFriend Depending on which screen I print from for a test recipe with vinegar, I get different formats. The first version, which I printed from the recipe “view” screen, does not include the “excluding vinegar” annotation that is included when the recipe is printed from the “edit” screen (version 2). In my opinion, the second one is the helpful one. Without the annotation to remind me, I might further discount the liquid if I was using the first version. #3 is the recipe without vinegar for comparison. It was printed from the edit screen.

View attachment 44496 View attachment 44497 View attachment 44498
Well , it is just missing the annotation in recipe view but it does discount vinegar when you choose to discount it .. I will add the annotation back in next update

Thank you!

Yes, thank you! The annotation is helpful. I like the calculator and appreciate all the work that has gone into making it.

I am sure most of you know by now I have posted numerous times about this wonderful calculator having a bit of an issue when it comes to entering Vinegar in the calculator. Once more I will try mentioning this and hopefully, it can be addressed.

Today in-between making soap I played with the calculator testing the vinegar and Liquid required settings. The calculator Does Not deduct the Vinegar amount entered in from the Required Liquid even if you turn on the Liquid Discount button. So if you are using less than full water replacement please manually deduct the vinegar from your Liquid Requirement. For example, I use 9 oz vinegar in my batch and 17 oz liquid is required with 8.3 oz Lye. If I follow the printout I would use 9 oz vinegar and 17 oz liquid which would be 8.3 oz too much liquid.

The other error is the total batch weight is incorrect when the vinegar weight is not deducted. I also do not like that it adds more liquid when it configures the extra lye needed Discount Calculator online, which is such a small amount it does not really need extra liquid added in. So if you decide to use vinegar please watch the numbers. I promise not to bring this up again.
Hi,

I am just starting out making Vinegar, I know very little about chemistry although i do know how to perform a titration, its just dealing with all the numbers afterwards that i have a problem with.

I have made a quick calculator in excel that i think will give me the vol/vol of acetic acid in my vinegar.

could someone have a quick look at it and tell me if it is giving the correct answers, the answer looks to be in the right ball park but the constants i have used have come from a lot of time searching the net and not really understanding what i am seeing/reading.

I have purchased a standard NaOH titration solution that says its 0.1 M Titer = 1.015
i use phenolphthalein indicator.

I think I will try a recipe with vinegar tomorrow. Soapmaking Friend does seem to be working now. I have saved my recipe on my laptop and am looking forward to experimenting with vinegar. Thank you to all of you who were so helpful.

Latest posts

Back