Vinegar rinse

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question but I need to ask some experts in here with regards the vinegar rinse in laundry. I got a new washing machine and I am worried to use vinegar in the place of softener. Any advice please.

I have been using vinegar in place of softener for 3 years with no tub damage if that is what you are worried about. Vinegar is not a high acid and you will be diluting it with the rinse water. I have to admit if you have one of the new front loaders that use very water I do not know. My daughter has a very expensive front loader and it showed me I would never buy one. She is also agreeing that her clothes are not getting as clean as the did in her old washer

I have been using vinegar in place of softener for 3 years with no tub damage if that is what you are worried about. Vinegar is not a high acid and you will be diluting it with the rinse water. I have to admit if you have one of the new front loaders that use very water I do not know. My daughter has a very expensive front loader and it showed me I would never buy one. She is also agreeing that her clothes are not getting as clean as the did in her old washer

Yes I got a front loader too, very good quality machine and I noticed if I didn't put vinegar rinse my clothes doesn't feel nice as I add vinegar. Maybe I will dilute 50:50. Thank you the advice.

I have nothing to add on the rinse, sorry. If you are new to front loaders, make sure to leave the door open so the unit can dry out between washes. When I lived in a high humidity place, I ended up with mold on the inside of my drum-thingie. <grumble>

I have a top loader so I may not be much help but I do use mostly vinegar for my rinse. I tend to mix a little fabric softener with vinegar most of the time, if I'm not using it straight. I've found that vinegar actually made my clothes, especially jeans, much more tolerable to wear than if I used straight fabric softener or none at all. But I have never mixed vinegar with water- it would weaken the effect vinegar has in the wash.

If I'm not making any sense right now, just tell me. I'm leaving for the night. I'm having a rough time sleeping thanks to this stupid cold of mine.

Been using vinegar with no damage to the washer and good results.

3 things to add:

-Damage doesn't seem likely to me, if anything, it HELPS the washer's longevity by constantly getting rid of hard water sediment. IMO, if anything did happen to the washer, it'd be because of the soap.

-If you put in too much clothing, the vinegar can't rinse properly and you might end up with a relatively strong vinegary smell on your stuff - happened once or twice.

-Making a citric acid solution would fix problem #2, and possible be a more effective water softener/soap scum preventer/remover, but I have no idea how strong of a solution to make. Any ideas lab geeks :mrgreen:?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back