Vinegar in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading the thread on using vinegar and am intrigued. I make a nice shea butter formulation that is plenty hard when the soap is 4 months old but not so much at 2 months. I think the vinegar sounds like a good idea to make the bar harder at the beginning but I am am curious about the older soap.

What should I expect in a soap with vinegar at 4-6 months? Will the feel or the lather seem different? Will the bar last longer? Would you be able to tell the difference when using the soap?

I make a shea facial bar with 58% shea butter, 12% CO with a cleansing value of 8 using 50% vinegar. I cannot really say if the bar is different at 2 and 4 months because I age them from 4-6 months, but they lather well and last a decent time. These are also made with dual lye at 95% NaOH 5% KOH

A little note about the dual lye, I started using it when I upped my soaps to high tallow, lard soaps and my high palm, shea soap recipes. it really helped with kicking up lather faster. Then I started soaping with vinegar and found I liked it so kept both. I am not really sure if the vinegar affects the usage of the dual lye or not but I like the way the soap turns out so I never changed it. If it "ain't broke"....:D.

That's interesting on the dual lye. I wouldn't have expected any difference in lather. I enjoy soap making and like my craft fair business but I still want the process to be fun. I think the vinegar idea is one I want to consider but dual lye I will pass on. If I add more time/energy to the soap making process I prefer it be in the design/color part.

This is interesting... I just added vinegar soap to my list, as well as dual lye (just because I have two lbs and I didn't like any of the liquid / cream soap recipes)... but I never thought to add vinegar with dual lye to the list. That may be more math than I'm prepared to do. Although I think SM3 will do the dual lye math for me, I'll just have to do the vinegar conversions. Ok, I'm adding it to the list...

Latest posts

Back