Very young castile, no snot yet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
With all the recent talk about slimy snotty castile, I just had to try it. I made a 2.5lb CP test batch on the 19th, using full water (which I now know wasn't the best thing to do), and using the "Daily Chef 100% pure olive oil" from Sam's.
Of course I understand that it will need several months to cure properly, but I had to sneak a little test last night just to see the famous snot, after all, that was the whole point of this test batch... but I didn't get any. All I got was a nice soft lather, though I had to work at it a bit. Maybe the snot will appear later as it cures? Not that I actually want the snot you understand, but I was a little surprised to not see it since just about everyone talks about it.

I don't get snot on my castiles, just a soft lather that you have to work at - much like you. I love it as a facial bar and gentle body soap. Ill admit that the lather isn't impressive, but that's not what I made it for. So I don't understand the hate either :)

I recently used a castile that's about four months old and it didn't start getting snotty until after a couple uses. Don't worry, your snot may still come! Haha

I don't hate castile, but I don't love it either. The only one I've used is my own, do I don't have anything to compare it to

Get a bar wet and let it sit for a minute or two, then check for the slime. I don't notice the slime as much when lathering, its more when touching a wet bar. Try patting it with your palm and slowly moving it away from the soap, you might just get stringy slime.

I think some people mistake the snot for softness, or in some other way actually like it. I have some castille I made last year. Dean likes it - it is definitely snot city. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say some people just do not detect the snotty-ness and to others it's obvious. Like some like strawberry ice cream and others don't.

That could be or maybe they just see a gel and not the snot. I'll try to get a video of the snot on mine.

ok, here is a video of slime. Its a bit dry, if I would have added a bit of water, I would have gotten long strings of snot.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_97uDtobc&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Last edited:
Lol, its really not that bad and you don't notice as much when you are lathering the bar. Its the gel that turn into lather, thats why using a bath poof makes such a nice lather with castile.

It has to do with the way soap with high oleic fatty acids dissolve in water. Instead of making mushy soap, the soap soaks up the water and turn into gel. You should see what happen when you drop a chunk of castile into a bowl of water for a few hours.

That could be or maybe they just see a gel and not the snot. I'll try to get a video of the snot on mine.

ok, here is a video of slime. Its a bit dry, if I would have added a bit of water, I would have gotten long strings of snot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_97uDtobc&feature=youtu.be

Nice visual! I can see how that would be nice with a shower poof. Does it give a lot of rich lather? I have never used a hand made Castile soap.

May I ask where I can find one of those flower molds?

Pardon while I go off on a snotty tangent, but when I was young, we would go down to our neighbors dairy farm and help with the chores. There was always a fresh batch of calves to be fed, and without fail, one or more would come down with some respiratory malady that caused copious amounts of mucus to drain from their noses. These poor babies were always quarantined and bottle fed so as to not risk infecting the herd.
At feeding time they would gather round, butting in to be the first to the bottle, then latching on vigorously.
To keep the over zealous sucking from pulling the nipple off the bottle (which was always a mixture of milk and medication so needed to be precisely dosed), we'd hold it on, so our hands were right between their snotty little noses and the bottle. At the end of it, our hands and frequently the front of us would be dripping with slime.
It's funny though, for all the hard work, and mucking, the head butts that sent us wallowing... those are some of the best memories and after years in the city, I still love the smell of a farm.
So to bring it back to the topic at hand, this is the image that was conjured with my snotty soap experience. Although I must admit, thankfully, soap snot smells much better, and certainly cleans up nicer than calf snot.

Thanks for the video Obsidian, that's very interesting. I didn't get that effect with mine, though I didn't soak it and let it sit for a while first, maybe that's what is required. I'll play with it some more, then let it sit for another week or so and try it again. Really though, if it doesn't get any worse than it is right now after a good long cure, then I think I'll probably like it. It does lather fairly well now after working it a bit, will probably be better by Thanksgiving.
Cute mold, I would like to source those too.

ETA:

Oh yes, I have been down the calf snot road too, though that was more years ago than I care to count. :lol:

Last edited:
With a bath poof it give lots on soft, fluffy lather. By hand, it has very little lather. I got my flower mold at a kitchen supply store but I bet you could find one on amazon

Is it silicone?

I tried everything I could think of, short of letting it stand in water, to get the slimy snot from mine like in Obsidian's videos, it just won't cooperate. All I get is a soft lather. I'm not complaining mind you, I'm perfectly happy without the snot, I just thought it was odd. I guess I'll just be happy that mine doesn't do it and go on. Just in case it's related to the stage of cure, I'll check it off and on over the next few months.

Back