Very Sad Today :-( Rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a Rant...
My youngest daughter the one that does m&p returned from the dentist today, and was told 6 bottom teeth have to come out and reconstructive surgery on her jaw. This is all due to health issues and meds not drugs.

What really saddens me is the fact that she has raised money for many people by supplying her products and she sends all money made to them, and keeps non of it to even cover supplies. Now when she needs help there is no one to help her. :thumbdown: I cannot help much anymore since we and her grandparents had all the upper teeth replaced with implants. This living on fixed incomes, and market sales sucking these days it does not leave much extra. This girl never gets a break and it depresses me to no end. Only good thing that has happened her husband found work after being off for 3 yrs, yep I had to support 2 families, but his work is in asphalt and it is sporadic.

I am not asking for anything just trying to relieve a little sadness today. But what is really frightening is the oral surgeon said it is getting life threatening because of all the decay, due to her constant severe dry mouth. Where does one even go to get help with extractions? :sad:

Will health insurance or medicaide cover any of it since it is directly related to/resulting from a medical condition and not a dental issue? If it was structly dental, and there was no dental coverage, I would assume not; however, If the doctors relate it to a medical condition, maybe she can get public assistance or benefits to cover at least part of the costs.

I'm so sorry, Carolyn, for your daughter's dental problems.

I have a couple of suggestions. First, does she live near a dental school? Most universities that have dental programs also see patients that the students work on. It takes much longer to have the procedure done because the dental instructor has to approve each step, but it's very cost effective.

Second, has she looked into Care Credit? It can be found at carecredit.com and is a credit card that can be used for dental, medical, veterinary care, etc. My son just signed up for it since he has no dental insurance and he started with a credit line of $2000 with no interest if he pays it off within 18 months. I know that's a small drop in the bucket when it comes to implants but at least it's a start.

I hope she's able to get the proper care and feels better soon.

Carolyn, I googled around and found that the California Dental Associate has a section of their website where you can search for low-cost dental clinics near your city. I know in my area, dental care for low-income people has been vastly improved since a couple of high-profile cases of kids dying from infections that started in their teeth. So it would be worth checking out.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this and I hope your daughter can find the care she needs.

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I'm sure it's very hard. From what I've noticed of you on this forum, you are a tough and determined lady and I hope that those qualities allow you to find a solution for your daughter.

Will health insurance or medicaide cover any of it since it is directly related to/resulting from a medical condition and not a dental issue? If it was structly dental, and there was no dental coverage, I would assume not; however, If the doctors relate it to a medical condition, maybe she can get public assistance or benefits to cover at least part of the costs.

I'm so sorry, Carolyn, for your daughter's dental problems.
That is exactly the angle I am trying to get her to work on since they already have it listed as a medical problem. She told me insurance told her no, but I think she needs to work on it harder.

I have a couple of suggestions. First, does she live near a dental school? Most universities that have dental programs also see patients that the students work on. It takes much longer to have the procedure done because the dental instructor has to approve each step, but it's very cost effective.

Second, has she looked into Care Credit? It can be found at carecredit.com and is a credit card that can be used for dental, medical, veterinary care, etc. My son just signed up for it since he has no dental insurance and he started with a credit line of $2000 with no interest if he pays it off within 18 months. I know that's a small drop in the bucket when it comes to implants but at least it's a start.

I hope she's able to get the proper care and feels better soon.
She tried a dental school, yes I am in an area of dental schools, but they will not accept her because of her epilepsy and rheumatoid arthritis. It is a real bummer. All work has to be done under anesthesia for her. Unfortunetly credit is out, when we lost our business during the big crash we also lost our credit with it. (after I worked my whole life to have perfect credit) another reason why I cannot help her out.

Carolyn, I googled around and found that the California Dental Associate has a section of their website where you can search for low-cost dental clinics near your city. I know in my area, dental care for low-income people has been vastly improved since a couple of high-profile cases of kids dying from infections that started in their teeth. So it would be worth checking out.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this and I hope your daughter can find the care she needs.
Thankyou, but as mentioned she is not a great candidate for clinics. She has been trying for a year to get on full disability, but that is not easy here, even though her doctors recommend disability

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I'm sure it's very hard. From what I've noticed of you on this forum, you are a tough and determined lady and I hope that those qualities allow you to find a solution for your daughter.
Thankyou, and to all of you. I was just in a bummer mood

I think Krista has a point -- Your daughter helps others because she learns they need help and she has a means to help them. Maybe it's time to ask others to give a bit back to her?!?!

Yep, already mentioned that DeeAnna, she will not. Saying my prayers she is heading to the hospital and see if she can at least get the extractions done as an emergency. The Oral Doc told her the decay could be life threatening. Here's hoping. I am really thinking about trying the GoFundMe, not sure what it involves

Carolyn, your daughter's situation is very sad. She sounds like a lovely, generous, and kind person. She has reached out and helped others and should not be ashamed to let others help her! Please let us know if you decide to start a gofundme.

Also, she is very lucky to have such a strong lady for her mother. It sounds like the situation has your family very stressed but your family also sounds like a bunch of stubborn fighters. I wish you and yours the best and hope you find a solution.

I'm so sorry for your daughter Carolyn. She does sound like such a good person who has been dealt a crummy hand. I think gofundme is an absolutely great idea, especially since this is life threatening. I understand no one wants to take a handout, but everyone of us needs a little extra help once in a while. I will fund it it you set it up. Please let everyone know if you do.

I'm so sorry to hear about her struggles. Please let us know if you set up a gofundme.

So sorry that your family is going through this. She does sound like a very good person. My elder sister had some decay problem with her bottom teeth and she consulted a cosmetic dental clinic in Whitby (Appletons was the name). It was fixed within 1 day. And I remember she says it was affordable too. Anyway, please let us know the updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back