Very Sad Today :-( Rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear this and know what it's like to have major dental issues (thanks genetics and thanks quack dentists I went to as a kid).

It's ridiculous that we still separate dental from medical care in this country - as though teeth are just cosmetic and care is still done by barbers instead of necessary for health. If she has medical insurance, she should check with them about going to an oral surgeon to perform certain procedures. I have a high deductible medical plan with the same company as my dental insurance - so get the "benefit" of them both technically covering the same procedures. They do me the "favor" of lobbing everything other than routine cleaning charges over to the medical side where I have to pay 100% until my medical deductible is met. It screws me - but that stance might actually help your daughter if her medical deductible is already met for the year.

I'm so sorry to hear this and know what it's like to have major dental issues (thanks genetics and thanks quack dentists I went to as a kid).

It's ridiculous that we still separate dental from medical care in this country - as though teeth are just cosmetic and care is still done by barbers instead of necessary for health. If she has medical insurance, she should check with them about going to an oral surgeon to perform certain procedures. I have a high deductible medical plan with the same company as my dental insurance - so get the "benefit" of them both technically covering the same procedures. They do me the "favor" of lobbing everything other than routine cleaning charges over to the medical side where I have to pay 100% until my medical deductible is met. It screws me - but that stance might actually help your daughter if her medical deductible is already met for the year.
She tried the hospital last night and they refused. This is insane especially when oral surgeons refuse to work on her, and this can be life threatening since gangerine can set in very quickly. I told her to fight some more with the insurance company.

I'm so sorry she is going through this. Please let us know if you open a go fund me account. Whatever she collects and doesn't use for herself can always be paid forward to whomever she wishes to help.

Does she have any medical insurance at all? Even Medicaid?

If so, find the plan documents and review the section on dental care.

Most plans cover care related to an illness or trauma (versus neglected oral hygiene).

If necessary, I can help navigate this, I work in medical claims for a health insurance company.

I'm so sorry that you and your daughter are going through this right now, Carolyn. I know that things like this can be really overwhelming. I don't do the prayer thing, but I'm sending healthy, positive thoughts your way!

Is it possible for her to sign up for Obamacare? The options for adult dental care here are ..not many, but there are a couple. I was working full time and had insurance when I had something similar done, so I cannot help much as far as what she might do to pay for it, other than it sounds like it is medically necessary, and that term right there....'medically necessary'...is a big deal when it comes to getting things accepted or denied. (That comes from my CPC knowledge). In your research and applications, please be sure you let them know, or even obtain documentation from the dentists/doctors stating that the procedures are medically necessary.

I had to have my front four teeth plus a right one taken out by oral surgery, and a partial put in. The dentist made/fitted me for my partial first, then I went in to a different oral surgeon and was put to sleep and had all 5 of the teeth removed. They had to split open my top gum and shave my bone because I have such a horrible overbite. They fit the partial in at the time of the surgery and no matter what you do, you do not remove that partial while your face heals from that surgery. (otherwise it won't go back in! LOL)

The surgery (for me) wasn't much to get over....I declined pain medication because I have my fibro treatments, and I was up and about cleaning an iguana tank the next day (but down the day after). It will probably be more for her to recover from, but that is a vague idea of what she would go through. Also, another reason my surgery may have been a little less painful is because I had to have that surgery because of an accident I had when I was 7 years old, and over time, all of those teeth ---thier roots---had retracted and went back up into my skull. Basically, 5 teeth gave themselves root canals, so I had no feeling in them whatsoever. They finally started to chip and break after years and years so they had to go.

I also know the feeling of giving and giving and giving and then that rare time when you need....everyone has scattered. It's horribly frustrating. I love to help people as well, but it has caused me to think twice now before I say yes to someone who probably wouldn't do even half of the same thing for me in return. It took a whole lot for me to learn that, too.

Then there is the dentist who chews you out for your teeth not being perfect. When you have to go a few years with no access to dental care---which is ridiculously expensive--these things happen.

In my state it is really easy, even if you work and have a lower-wage paying job, to get on Obama care, so hopefully there is something in your state that you can research that will help. I will be thinking of you all.

Carolyn, I'm very sorry to hear this. It makes me very sad as you really seem like such a hard worker and it hurts to hear something so negative happening to your daughter who seems just as much of a hard worker and kind person despite her adversity. I don't know how she must feel but I really hope things turn around.

I don't have any advice to provide beyond that was already given but, I wanted to respond even if its not particularly helpful.

I really hope you find a solution to this critical issue Carolyn. I don't know much about the workings of health insurance. Just want to see if I could help any way I can. I think you should really give us SMFers a chance. I know most of us are thinking of contributing whatever little we could, hope there is a way to do that even if you don't start a crowd funding account. I know it's not always easy to accept help from others but we all need help sometimes and those who give that help so freely must know how to accept also.
Also, I thought I would say this, clove bud EO and peppermint EO are very good for dental health, they are in many Ayurvedic toothpastes in India. Lately I've been using a drop of each on my toothpaste when I brush and it's been really helpful with my sensitivity and keeping those minor aches at bay. May be she could use them too to keep the gangrene from setting in. I know there's more to gangrene than just infection but those EOs improve circulation as well.

Does she have any medical insurance at all? Even Medicaid?

If so, find the plan documents and review the section on dental care.

Most plans cover care related to an illness or trauma (versus neglected oral hygiene).

If necessary, I can help navigate this, I work in medical claims for a health insurance company.
She has a PPO through her hubby's union. I keep telling her the same thing. Thankyou for the offer might have to take you up on it. I will find out just what policy she has. All oral surgeons have contributed this to health issues not neglect

Is it possible for her to sign up for Obamacare? The options for adult dental care here are ..not many, but there are a couple. I was working full time and had insurance when I had something similar done, so I cannot help much as far as what she might do to pay for it, other than it sounds like it is medically necessary, and that term right there....'medically necessary'...is a big deal when it comes to getting things accepted or denied. (That comes from my CPC knowledge). In your research and applications, please be sure you let them know, or even obtain documentation from the dentists/doctors stating that the procedures are medically necessary.

I had to have my front four teeth plus a right one taken out by oral surgery, and a partial put in. The dentist made/fitted me for my partial first, then I went in to a different oral surgeon and was put to sleep and had all 5 of the teeth removed. They had to split open my top gum and shave my bone because I have such a horrible overbite. They fit the partial in at the time of the surgery and no matter what you do, you do not remove that partial while your face heals from that surgery. (otherwise it won't go back in! LOL)

The surgery (for me) wasn't much to get over....I declined pain medication because I have my fibro treatments, and I was up and about cleaning an iguana tank the next day (but down the day after). It will probably be more for her to recover from, but that is a vague idea of what she would go through. Also, another reason my surgery may have been a little less painful is because I had to have that surgery because of an accident I had when I was 7 years old, and over time, all of those teeth ---thier roots---had retracted and went back up into my skull. Basically, 5 teeth gave themselves root canals, so I had no feeling in them whatsoever. They finally started to chip and break after years and years so they had to go.

I also know the feeling of giving and giving and giving and then that rare time when you need....everyone has scattered. It's horribly frustrating. I love to help people as well, but it has caused me to think twice now before I say yes to someone who probably wouldn't do even half of the same thing for me in return. It took a whole lot for me to learn that, too.

Then there is the dentist who chews you out for your teeth not being perfect. When you have to go a few years with no access to dental care---which is ridiculously expensive--these things happen.

In my state it is really easy, even if you work and have a lower-wage paying job, to get on Obama care, so hopefully there is something in your state that you can research that will help. I will be thinking of you all.
You sound like a very similiar situation as my daughter, I am so glad you were able to have it taken care of. Here Obamacare is a JOKE, while her husband was out of work her husband got on Obamanoncare and so did my granddaughter, the one who is ill never did get on it. They kept denying her. I am going to have her get in writing this is a health issue. The Doctor told her yesterday it is not her fault. She also has some syndrome, do not remember what she called it, that causes severe dry mouth, dry eyes etc, which is the root of the problem

Carolyn, I'm very sorry to hear this. It makes me very sad as you really seem like such a hard worker and it hurts to hear something so negative happening to your daughter who seems just as much of a hard worker and kind person despite her adversity. I don't know how she must feel but I really hope things turn around.

I don't have any advice to provide beyond that was already given but, I wanted to respond even if its not particularly helpful.
Thankyou, sometimes it just helps to chat with someone.

I really hope you find a solution to this critical issue Carolyn. I don't know much about the workings of health insurance. Just want to see if I could help any way I can. I think you should really give us SMFers a chance. I know most of us are thinking of contributing whatever little we could, hope there is a way to do that even if you don't start a crowd funding account. I know it's not always easy to accept help from others but we all need help sometimes and those who give that help so freely must know how to accept also.
Also, I thought I would say this, clove bud EO and peppermint EO are very good for dental health, they are in many Ayurvedic toothpastes in India. Lately I've been using a drop of each on my toothpaste when I brush and it's been really helpful with my sensitivity and keeping those minor aches at bay. May be she could use them too to keep the gangrene from setting in. I know there's more to gangrene than just infection but those EOs improve circulation as well.
Thanyou so much for your concern, as I mentioned I am not here asking for anything. Sometimes it just feels good to not always hold it in. This is a girl that really needs a break in life. They lost everything in the big economic crash and starting over is very difficult. I used to use clove eo for toothaches and love peppermint

So sorry that your family is dealing with this. I can completely relate, I've always had horrid teeth, and developed a massive infection when I was out of work. Even now, with pretty darn good insurance, I'm paying three digits out of pocket. Sigh
I hope life cuts her a break soon so she can take care of things.

I am so sorry to hear this. My sister came home from her dentist Thursday and was told she needed 5 pulled for the exact same reason. I never knew that dry mouth would cause this (along with health problems). I feel so bad for her, and for your daughter. That is a frightening thing.

I am so sorry to hear this. My sister came home from her dentist Thursday and was told she needed 5 pulled for the exact same reason. I never knew that dry mouth would cause this (along with health problems). I feel so bad for her, and for your daughter. That is a frightening thing.
It is horrible. Good luck to your sister it is so blasted expensive, I have always wondered why dental insurance has never kept up

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. You must feel so frustrated at the moment!!I sometimes forget how lucky we are in the UK with medical and dental care. When things went disastrously wrong after my daughter was born, I had to have multiple life saving surgeries, over a period of 5 months. I shudder to think what that would have cost. My husband had to look after me, 2 young kids and his Dad who had terminal cancer, so his business fell apart and we now have massive debts, but at least we don't have medical debts as well! The impact of this has been horrendous over the years, culminating in my husband being seriously unwell and unable to work for five years.

It sounds like you've had to pick up the pieces yourself and keep everything going. I guess the reason I'm telling you about my story, is that I would love to help you and your daughter out. I realise just how devastating it is, when despite how hard you work there isn't enough money. Your daughter's health is so important and she sounds really special, as do you. If you set up the fund, I would love to contribute. It may not be much, but it will be given from the heart.

"....I would love to contribute. It may not be much, but it will be given from the heart...."

This.

Friends and family helped me when times were rough. I would appreciate the chance to "pay it forward" by helping you and yours.

"....I would love to contribute. It may not be much, but it will be given from the heart...."

This.

Friends and family helped me when times were rough. I would appreciate the chance to "pay it forward" by helping you and yours.
Thankyou so much DeeAnna,what a fantastic offer. HouseofWool is a sweetie and is working on her insurance for us, so hopefully she will get insurance help. Right now if she can at least have the surgery done and the partial she can work on the implants as she saves. Needs a partial in the front to save the top implants. What a vicious circle it is

I don't check this board often so I am just now seeing this. I am sorry this is happening, and hoping for a good outcome for your daughter. If there is some kind of fund set up, I would also like to help. This little soaping community, somewhere along the line, has started feeling like friends to me. I hope you will let us know how she is doing.

Thankyou Dibbles, she goes to the oral surgeon tomorrow and we will see what we can do. Think I talked her into a Fund Me, which we hate with all our being to do, but sometimes desperation sets in. When my oldest gets home I am going to ask her if she will set it up. Unfortunately we are wits end on where to turn. Insurance is also not cooperating even with this being a medical issue. Really sucks

Carolyn,

Your daughter has provided others with much help and support. Remind her how much satisfaction she got from making the world a better place.

Then let her know, that we would like the chance to do the same for her, because it would offer us the satisfaction of knowing we helped make the world a little better.

^^^ this!

It might sound harsh -

If she helps other people, she can't be against people helping one another in general. "We have to help out those in need". So does that just not apply to her?

For a person to be truly generous they need to accept acts of generosity, especially when in need.

Back