Very quick question about dual lye soap!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

toxikon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about whipping up a batch of cp soap tonight and now that I have some KOH, I'm intrigued by 5% KOH/95% NaOH soaping.

Just one (potentially stupid) question, which I can't seem to find an answer to.

Can you combine the KOH and NaOH together with one container of water? Or do you need to have a KOH + water solution and a NaOH + water solution that you add to your oils separately?

Thank you thank you!

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just add the amount of KOH to my NaOH solution.

I masterbatch my lye, so I measure out my extra liquid to get to the concentration I want to soap at, add my MB amount and then add the KOH crystals and stir to dissolve.

toxikon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just add the amount of KOH to my NaOH solution.

I masterbatch my lye, so I measure out my extra liquid to get to the concentration I want to soap at, add my MB amount and then add the KOH crystals and stir to dissolve.
Great, thank you! I've never worked with KOH so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something disastrous.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
What KC said. Just want to emphasize -- you need water that is equal to or more than the total combined weight of NaOH and KOH.

First time I tried this, I added the dry KOH to a 50% NaOH solution, and the KOH didn't dissolve. This got me a bit flustered, but there was no harm done. I just added the extra water needed for the KOH and all was well.

toxikon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What KC said. Just want to emphasize -- you need water that is equal to or more than the total combined weight of NaOH and KOH.

First time I tried this, I added the dry KOH to a 50% NaOH solution, and the KOH didn't dissolve. This got me a bit flustered, but there was no harm done. I just added the extra water needed for the KOH and all was well.
So if I usually use 35% Lye Concentration, will that be enough water? Assuming I'm using the Soapee calc to calculate lye amounts.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Yep, that will work plenty good.

Soapee will calculate the right amount of water for your recipe.