VERY new to candlemaking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So new that I have not made one yet.

My first question is this: How do I find out what size/type of wick to use in what size/type of candle. Since each manufacturer has their own names for theirs, how do I locate this information? I have haunted several websites, and have yet to find that information listed. I understand that I will still have to test the wicks with each type of wax, colorant, fragrance, and container, but I need at least a starting point.

Also, since I have come to rely so much on SMF for soapmaking help, I figure candlemaking help can be found here also. So if someone knows of a basic candlemaking 101 type thread, I really, really need it. I have found every conflicting video YouTube has to offer.

So new that I have not made one yet.

My first question is this: How do I find out what size/type of wick to use in what size/type of candle. Since each manufacturer has their own names for theirs, how do I locate this information? I have haunted several websites, and have yet to find that information listed. I understand that I will still have to test the wicks with each type of wax, colorant, fragrance, and container, but I need at least a starting point.

Also, since I have come to rely so much on SMF for soapmaking help, I figure candlemaking help can be found here also. So if someone knows of a basic candlemaking 101 type thread, I really, really need it. I have found every conflicting video YouTube has to offer.
First, what type of candle are you aiming to make, container, pillar, votive, melt and, what size?? Then, what type of wax are you thinking of using, soy, paraffin, palm, coconut, a blend, etc,

With that, we would be better able to help answer some your questions. There aren't a lot of us candlemakers here on this forum, we will help where we can.
@lsg posted a good link, and is a good starting point, however I find candle science almost always suggests wicks that are too big for the type of candle/wax application.

Susie, here is a link to a video and info on choosing the right wick size. Hope it helps.:)

https://www.candlescience.com/learning/choosing-the-right-wick-size

Many, many thanks!!!

First, what type of candle are you aiming to make, container, pillar, votive, melt and, what size?? Then, what type of wax are you thinking of using, soy, paraffin, palm, coconut, a blend, etc,

With that, we would be better able to help answer some your questions. There aren't a lot of us candlemakers here on this forum, we will help where we can.
@lsg posted a good link, and is a good starting point, however I find candle science almost always suggests wicks that are too big for the type of candle/wax application.

I am going to start with (and probably stick with) container candles using either soy or a blend. From what I understand (all of the information I have is from YouTube, so I know half of it is wrong, I just have to figure out WHICH half) that is going to be the easiest/most likely successful way to begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't work with soy of any kind, so the only advise I have is stick with whatever wax you are going to use, jar type and learn everything you can about each. I wouldn't add scent or color until you get a nice burning candle, and then start adding your additives. That way when things go wonky, you will know exactly what needs to be changed.

Sorry I can't be of more help with soy.

What do you use, and why not soy (if you don't mind me asking) ? I avoid eating soy products as it gives me worse hot flashes, especially at night. But I shouldn't (maybe) have a problem with a candle.

What do you use, and why not soy (if you don't mind me asking) ? I avoid eating soy products as it gives me worse hot flashes, especially at night. But I shouldn't (maybe) have a problem with a candle.
I just never bought into the whole "soy is better than paraffin" marketing. In my experience and testing, paraffin throws better, is easier to work with, almost every scent throws in paraffin, and most recently I started working with Palm wax and find it is even better than paraffin as far as all the qualities I love about paraffin.
I'm also not saying that paraffin and palm is better than soy, just that soy was too picky of wax and too hard for me personally to work with, so I quickly went back to paraffin.

I just never bought into the whole "soy is better than paraffin" marketing. In my experience and testing, paraffin throws better, is easier to work with, almost every scent throws in paraffin, and most recently I started working with Palm wax and find it is even better than paraffin as far as all the qualities I love about paraffin.
I'm also not saying that paraffin and palm is better than soy, just that soy was too picky of wax and too hard for me personally to work with, so I quickly went back to paraffin.

I use soy Susie so might be able to help with something using what knowledge i have BUT i do live in England so therefore will probably have different everything to you if you are in America!

@jcandleattic its not letting me tag you for some reason. Is palm good for scent throw?

Personally my issue with parrafin is that its a petroleum by product and thats something i try to stay clear of in general. It wasnt really because of the whole cleaner burning claim. It was more just personal morals with regards to using as few petroleum by products as possible. But each to thier own :)

Personally my issue with parrafin is that its a petroleum by product and thats something i try to stay clear of in general. It wasnt really because of the whole cleaner burning claim. It was more just personal morals with regards to using as few petroleum by products as possible. But each to thier own :)
Well, if you don't like paraffin for moral reasons, you probably really won't like palm then.

However since you asked my opinion about palms throw, I will say it has a better throw (IMO) than paraffin does, and most often I have to use less than 6% FO to get an excellent strong and hot throw. Plus the burn is fabulous, however, it is a quicker burning candle, so it will consume itself faster than either paraffin or soy.

I also avoid soy because I find it difficult to get a good hot throw. I use a paraffin was: IGI 4627 comfort blend wax. Excellent hot and cold throw, single pour and smooth tops. A little tricky in the beginning to figure out how to get it out of the plastic, but I figured out how to put it into a tub with very little difficulty and can now just scoop it out easily as I need it.

Latest posts

Back