Very First Batch of Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalee2003

Reaction score
I know, I know ... not another "first soap!" thread.

Also, I apologize in advance for the long post.

But seriously, I completely understand why you're all addicted to this soap making thing. I was practically dancing and almost crying (not really ... misty eyed, really) when I got to cut into my very first batch of soap.

I had no issues with it! Even despite my scale being a little wonky (screw you, cheap Walmart scale! Definitely buying a better one). The batch came out perfect after 24 hours. I was completely expecting the worst: Volcano, ricing and glycerin rivers galore. But nope!!
The only minor issue I had was that the plastic garbage bag that I laid on top of the soap had ink on it, which imprinted onto the batch. But I easily cut that off and tried to make it all into presentable (if a little odd) shaped bars.

20% coconut oil
50% olive oil
30% soybean oil

No colors or fragrances added, since this was obviously my very first batch and I didn't want to ruin it.

The whole process was such an experience! Up until last night, I had only watched videos and read countless threads on this whole soap making process. It's been two long months of researching, learning and getting my supplies and ingredients together. It almost felt like a dream.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the wonderful and useful advice and knowledge! I couldn't have don't this with out you (... now where's my Emmy award? ;) ).

1445746442174.jpg

first soap.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations. Great looking soap. You never get blasé about cutting soap, you are never sure what you will find. Welcome to the addiction, there's no escape!!

Grats on a job well done! Now for the long waiting for the cure. It will drive you crazy until you actually get to use it!

Congratulations! They are looking good. I have never tried soybean oil before. Is it good?

Congratulations! What wonderful looking soap. I used my first batch of soap for the first time today! Great feeling! So you have another celebratory milestone to look forward to. [emoji2]

AnnaLee I can FEEL your excitement! Congratulations!!!
I ran your recipe through a soap calculator and saw high numbers for linoleic and linolenic acids. As I've learned here combining those 2 numbers the threshold is 15% if you want to avoid the heartbreak of DOS...dreaded orange spots which in my mind is basically your soap going rancid.
You might want to consider tweaking your recipe to avoid this possibility. I don't know if you're averse to using animal fats like lard but that would make for an economical as well as a harder bar of soap. Do your best to take good notes because if you're anything like me so much is forgotten in the weeks waiting for a soap to cure. And welcome to the addiction!

Congratulations on a successful first soap. Be careful. It only takes 1 batch and you will become addicted. Then all you will think about is how soon can I make my next batch. You will spend all your time reading about fragrances and drooling over beautiful micas. You will spend hours playing with a soap calculator and making up recipes. You will love every minute of it. 1 piece of advise that I wish someone had told me before I made my first scented batch; don't use a plastic cup to measure your fragrance oil. It will melt the cup and you will have fragrance oil oozing on to the counter. Good luck and may the soap gremlins never find you.

Mary Lou

Last edited:
AnnaLee I can FEEL your excitement! Congratulations!!!
I ran your recipe through a soap calculator and saw high numbers for linoleic and linolenic acids. As I've learned here combining those 2 numbers the threshold is 15% if you want to avoid the heartbreak of DOS...dreaded orange spots which in my mind is basically your soap going rancid.
You might want to consider tweaking your recipe to avoid this possibility. I don't know if you're averse to using animal fats like lard but that would make for an economical as well as a harder bar of soap. Do your best to take good notes because if you're anything like me so much is forgotten in the weeks waiting for a soap to cure. And welcome to the addiction!

Yeah, I remember someone on this forum posted something about how they try to keep the linoleic levels down below %15. I was trying to do that, but it meant upping either the oo or co, which would have made the bars softer, I believe?

Really hoping that I don't get DOS ... but if I do, I guess it will just be another learning opportunity.

Soybean oil probably isn't the best oil to use, but it was all that I had on hand.
Definitely not adverse to using lard! I will keep my eye out for some next time I go grocery shopping.

Back